First portrait project and another Alex Fox basket

Old Joe

I’d never tried a portrait before. I bought Steve Good’s CD on how to design portraits, but am still wading through it. I decided to try one of his, with a couple of minor changes. I used 1/4” BB mounted on a piece of 3/4” Poplar. Used natural Danish oil on the B.B.and stained the Poplar with Expresso to give it contrast.

I also did one more Alex Fox basket. I think I’m done with baskets for a while.

29B73198-CC01-4DE6-8832-8974BFC09E53.jpeg

18EED068-5BE6-4442-93FD-5C74D77FFCB6.jpeg

WOW that is a delicate basket.  Very nice job.  And poor old Willie has his unforgiving fans mad at him because he is too old and frail to do a concert.  Give him a break.  Living the hard life he did abusing his body all those years... it is a wonder he is still alive.  I love his music, and I thank him for it.  Nice job on the portrait also.

I love the portrait and am considering a portrait project soon.  I'm also interested in making some kinda basket.  Ah who am I kidding I wanna make every cool thing I see lol.  Thanks for sharing your beautiful work.  I'm particularly noticing the eyes.   Very rarely do fretwork eyes look right to me, but those eyes are wonderful 

1 hour ago, HeeresJohnnny said:

I love the portrait and am considering a portrait project soon.  I'm also interested in making some kinda basket.  Ah who am I kidding I wanna make every cool thing I see lol.  Thanks for sharing your beautiful work.  I'm particularly noticing the eyes.   Very rarely do fretwork eyes look right to me, but those eyes are wonderful 

This was adapted from a Steve Good design. I bought his CD tutorial on making portraits from photos and hope that my next portrait project will be an original.

2 hours ago, Scrappile said:

WOW that is a delicate basket.  Very nice job.  And poor old Willie has his unforgiving fans mad at him because he is too old and frail to do a concert.  Give him a break.  Living the hard life he did abusing his body all those years... it is a wonder he is still alive.  I love his music, and I thank him for it.  Nice job on the portrait also.

Thanks, Scrappile, I liked he challenge of this pattern of Willie.  I have been a fan of Willie’s since Patsy Cline.

36 minutes ago, alexfox said:

Both projects came out great!

Thank you, Alex. I envy your creativity. You are the true artist, I am but a lowly craftsman.

And many thanks to everyone on this blog for your compliments and supportive remarks.

Ok, I think that I have a project waiting to start.You all enjoy your Sunday!

Edited by Old Joe