Full Sheet Labels for Printing Patterns

Iguanadon

So, with the flooding of my garage due to the hurricane, another of my minor losses was 12 rolls of shelf liner that I had stashed away.  I'm now thinking I'd like to try using full sheet "shipping labels".  I purchased a pack of 100 and still have them but haven't given them a try yet and wanted to see who else is using this method.  I remember when I was first looking at this I'd found somewhere that I could buy them in a pack of 1,000 but I must not have saved the link.

Any feedback, experiences, info, etc would be appreciated.  Such things as a particular brand... Removable -vs- "Permanent", etc, etc. 

Here is the link of the pack of 100 that I have on hand and will be trying soon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WVYGWMD/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks

Edited by Iguanadon

1 hour ago, Iguanadon said:

So, with the flooding of my garage due to the hurricane, another of my minor losses was 12 rolls of shelf liner that I had stashed away.  I'm now thinking I'd like to try using full sheet "shipping labels".  I purchased a pack of 100 and still have them but haven't given them a try yet and wanted to see who else is using this method.  I remember when I was first looking at this I'd found somewhere that I could buy them in a pack of 1,000 but I must not have saved the link.

Any feedback, experiences, info, etc would be appreciated.  Such things as a particular brand... Removable -vs- "Permanent", etc, etc. 

Here is the link of the pack of 100 that I have on hand and will be trying soon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WVYGWMD/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks

I use the full sheet labels.. Buy mine from a seller on eBay 1000 at a time.. they do sell them smaller quantities too but the larger amount the better the deal.. since I sell online and actually use shipping labels for that it's kind of a win win to have them on hand anyway. 

That said.. the supplier I first started out getting them from.. well those labels barely stuck to the boxes etc.. stuck great to a taped up board or on the shelf liner but not so much on bare wood.. and I always was taping over the label on my packages because they'd start lifting up on their own.. 

Now I get them from another seller.. and.. they stick so well I barely can get them off my fingers and you better make sure they are stuck where you want it because they don't come back off once they touch something... almost including my fingers :) 

I haven't had any luck using them stuck to bare wood.. depending on the label.. they either lift off during cutting.. or you can't get them off.. so... I still use the shelf liner / tape or whatever to cover the wood first.. I'm pretty much betting that the suppliers on eBay are getting seconds or something as cheap as they sell.. I been getting 1000 sheets about every year and the most I've paid is about $50.. I think they've bumped the price up since my last purchase and I'm going to need to get some again soon.. Not sure how a different brands etc would do.. as for peeling back off bare wood.. I like them just because there is no mess of spray glue going all over the surrounding area.. and I feel it's less time just peeling and sticking rather than flip over on a scrap piece of cardboard and spraying that nasty glue all over.. Not to mention... no clogged nozzles to deal with either..

I must have deleted my go to seller for them on eBay..or they removed the labels from their inventory because I usually keep them in my fav. list for quick access  but just a couple quick links to show the pricing.. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/250-Shipping-Labels-Full-Sheet-8-5x11-Self-Adhesive-PACKZON/152896747215?epid=1364563073&hash=item23995b36cf:g:4kUAAOSwjn9Zj2Gt

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1000-Full-Sheet-Shipping-Labels-8-5-X-11-Self-Adhesive-USPS-UPS-FedEx-Amazon-FBA/372115530523?epid=17007863752&hash=item56a3d0631b:g:y3EAAOSw~l1Z8CSS

Probably should look into different brands to see if I could save money on having to buy the shelf liner too.. be nice to find some that you could stick right to the wood and have it peel back off easily.. that said though.. I'm thinking that wouldn't work.. I'd rather they be sticky and not worry about them coming off my packages.. LOL  

4 minutes ago, Iguanadon said:

Also found qty 1,000 here for $96

https://www.onlinelabels.com/OL177.htm?src=dlc-282

I'll have to see how the ones to that I currently have.  I want to adhere them straight to the wood but don't want them falling off, or requiring a chisel to get them off.  😉

contact the company, explain your use, and ask for a sample.   A lot of companies will send you a free sample just to make a sale.

12 minutes ago, Iguanadon said:

Also found qty 1,000 here for $96

https://www.onlinelabels.com/OL177.htm?src=dlc-282

I'll have to see how the ones to that I currently have.  I want to adhere them straight to the wood but don't want them falling off, or requiring a chisel to get them off.  😉

I'm betting you they'll be too sticky to get back off easily... Mine get really hard to get back off if I stick them on then get sidetracked and they set around for a week or so.. I'm betting you should look into white shelf liner and cut it down for the printer.. Need a way to hook the whole roll to the printer... then you could print 8ft sections to fit your boards LOL

45 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

I'm betting you they'll be too sticky to get back off easily... Mine get really hard to get back off if I stick them on then get sidetracked and they set around for a week or so.. I'm betting you should look into white shelf liner and cut it down for the printer.. Need a way to hook the whole roll to the printer... then you could print 8ft sections to fit your boards LOL

LOL, wouldn't that be cool as hell!  Print this out directly...  I may have to invent something...

IMG_20180807_072300.jpg

1 minute ago, Iguanadon said:

LOL, wouldn't that be cool as hell!  Print this out directly...  I may have to invent something...

IMG_20180807_072300.jpg

I'm first in line to get one when you do... LOL  I do this same thing many times with patterns.. then cut the board down in smaller pieces...

My friend has a vinyl plotter that you just put the roll of vinyl on and cut out the stickers.. that's what made me think of that.. LOL... His plotter doesn't print just cuts.. but some of the more expensive ones do print... there you go.. another little side business to add to the others.. you can sell the stickers in another booth at the shows, 😂

5 hours ago, Iguanadon said:

Thanks

I love them. I haven't ruled out the shelf liner though. I think it becomes a matter of what works the best in different situations.

1 hour ago, Roberta Moreton said:

The ones from Wooden Teddy Bear do stick well to bear wood and remove cleanly. I just might ‘Sick’ with what I know. (See what I did there?)

I didn't know any scroll saw supply sites was selling them.. I might have to look into it.. 

Actually.. I'm considering trying one of my labels on bare wood to see how bad they might stick.. since wood is kind of porous they may not stick so bad to bare wood... Also I have removed them from old boxes so i could recycle some of the boxes I receive from shipments of supplies etc.. by using a hair drier to sort of heat up the sticky glue. they peel right off a box doing this.. not enthused about having to heat up wood projects every time to get the pattern off BUT I'll try it once with my labels to see if I have to LOL  

when I have trouble removing a label from a plastic bottle or glass jar, I find that if soaking over night doesn't do it, denatured alcohol or acetone usually does the trick.  Might work on label glue as well.  And for pete's sake, do not smoke while working with either DNA or Acetone.

Edited by zimmerstutzen

6 hours ago, DL00P said:

New to scrolling here, do you use that to put on the wood and then peal off?

Hi Dustin,

Welcome.

There are several ways of mounting patterns to boards, everyone has their favorite.  My preferred method the past 2 years has been to use shelf liner (see link below), sticking that to the wood, then using spray adhesive to mount the pattern to the shelf liner.  

The shelf liner peels off the wood with no residue left behind.  I use 12" wide, 6' long boards and mount 20 patterns at a time, and I have found this to be the quickest and easiest method.

However, I just lost 12 rolls of shelf liner due to flooding in my garage and am considering the full sheet label method.

Here is the shelf liner that many folks use.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Duck-Peel-Stick-12-In-x-36-Ft-Adhesive-Laminate-Shelf-Liner-Clear/16224481

And here is a video I did providing an overview of my process if you're really bored and want something to do for 7 minutes.  😉

Iggy

On 9/24/2018 at 10:31 AM, Iguanadon said:

IMG_20180807_072300.jpg

Remember the old dot matrix printers with the fan fold paper? Not that much different if you think about it. Just need to create the feed mechanism for the inkjet/laser printer. By the way, I love my new laser printer. It is so much better than the inkjet and the ink never dries up.