EX 21 question

rdatelle

Hi everyone. Have a question on my Ex Cal 21 scroll saw. My upper lock down knob finally stripped on me and I can't tighten down the upper blade anymore. I was thinking about replacing the upper and lower chuck with the new Pegas chuck.  Anyone used those already, or should I just replace them both with the same one's that are on there. Thanks. Have to pull out my DW788 now and finish my jobs. Thanks. Ralph.

I'm assuming you are a bottom feeder and the top knob threads just wore out. (steel on aluminum) I had a similar problem with my bottom clamp since I am a top feeder. A quick fix is to swap the knob and hex screw and loc-tite the hex screw on the right side if there is still enough thread to bite. I bought a replacement from Seyco but on the one that wore out,  I a bought a tape and die with a M6 helicoil kit to mount a steel thread. I've seen the Pegas replacement and have seen good reviews. You have a few options.

41 minutes ago, rdatelle said:

Hi everyone. Have a question on my Ex Cal 21 scroll saw. My upper lock down knob finally stripped on me and I can't tighten down the upper blade anymore. I was thinking about replacing the upper and lower chuck with the new Pegas chuck.  Anyone used those already, or should I just replace them both with the same one's that are on there. Thanks. Have to pull out my DW788 now and finish my jobs. Thanks. Ralph.

I just rec'd. my set of Pegas yesterday but I haven't had a chance to install them. From all the feedback I've read here and other places, it seems like a no-brainer. I'll let you know as soon as I give them a try. I'm hoping for the "less vibration" throughout the RPM range.

41 minutes ago, rdatelle said:

Thanks Bernd ,he tread looks pretty bad on the inside. Not sure if I can retread that.

I think the intention was to re-thread to a larger size to accept a helicoil, that would match up with the original thumbscrew.  When I had my DeWalt, I considered trying this, but ended up just buying new blade clamps.  I bought an extra set and they went with the saw when I sold it. 

I bought the Pegas clamp a month or so back... I don't know how a un-defective standard Excalibur clamps works.. everyone seem to think my original clamp was defective... If it wasn't defective I wouldn't own a Ex without the Pegas clamp on it.. That's how much improvement it gave my saw.. but like i said...many think my upper clamp was defective from the get go.. For me...it was night and day difference... I rarely would even use my Excalibur... now I don't mind using it but still do prefer my Hawk..  

I am in my second week with the Pegas clamps and they seems to work just fine.  I need to make some minor adjustments on them to fit my routine, but they work great and I seem to be able to pull the blade a half notch tighter on my DeWalt.  Now, the old holders had lots (and lots) of blades changes on them, but the Pegas just seems to hold the blade better.

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I went ahead and ordered the new Pegas clamps. Already took off the upper and lower clamps on my ex 21, so I'm ready to go as soon as they come in. I love my ex cal. I'm now using my DW788 which was collecting dust in the corner. I'm glad I kept it for a spare. I was almost going to sell it but I changed my mind. Still runs great.

2 minutes ago, rdatelle said:

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I went ahead and ordered the new Pegas clamps. Already took off the upper and lower clamps on my ex 21, so I'm ready to go as soon as they come in. I love my ex cal. I'm now using my DW788 which was collecting dust in the corner. I'm glad I kept it for a spare. I was almost going to sell it but I changed my mind. Still runs great.

I'm in the same boat Ralph. I have the same two saws as you. I just sold my Hegner over the weekend. I just wasn't happy with it. I do love my EX and my Dewalt though.