Got New Wheels

Rockytime

4 hours ago, heppnerguy said:

my thought also. I was looking for the wheel locks on the casters and saw none.. Let's see what Rocky has to say about that

Dick

heppnerguy

Good afternoon Dick. Another friend, not you but an additional friend, asked me the same question some time ago. The following photo will make it clear. Since my being right brained my left side is more dominant. I don't sit straight toward the saw but rather I sit sort of facing to the left of the saw. Perhaps it is also why left- handers write funny. I have posted in the past I wish there were a saw stand with two legs at the back and one in front so that my legs would not interfere with the legs. Soooo, I sit very close to the saw, unlike in the photo, now have the saw tilted so I sit sideways and look DOWN at the pattern. My nose is close to the pattern RED line. Pardon the capitalization. As a result of how I sit my left leg is always between the legs.

1-20181023_115633.jpg

Just now, Rockytime said:

Good afternoon Dick. Another friend, not you but an additional friend, asked me the same question some time ago. The following photo will make it clear. Since my being right brained my left side is more dominant. I don't sit straight toward the saw but rather I sit sort of facing to the left of the saw. Perhaps it is also why left- handers write funny. I have posted in the past I wish there were a saw stand with two legs at the back and one in front so that my legs would not interfere with the legs. Soooo, I sit very close to the saw, unlike in the photo, now have the saw tilted so I sit sideways and look DOWN at the pattern. My nose is close to the pattern RED line. Pardon the capitalization. As a result of how I sit my left leg is always between the legs.

1-20181023_115633.jpg

I built two saw stands so far. One with four legs and one with 3. I really do like the 3 legged one the best. With that said, I'm sure there is a way to convert your Hawk to a 3 legged stand. Maybe by combining the two front legs into one by overlapping them and then bolting to the center of the table? Just a thought here without actually seeing it in person. Or do away with the two factory legs and build a T to fit up under the table with a center leg? There is always a way if you want it badly enough.

I have a good scroller friend who is also a welder by trade. When I showed him how I sat he offered to do something similar to what you said. He is a fabricator and could do so handily. But my system is so comfortable for me that I have no desire to change things. He's the friend that welds up horseshoes for me to make clocks. Friends are wonderful to have and that's why I am here!

Just now, Rockytime said:

I have a good scroller friend who is also a welder by trade. When I showed him how I sat he offered to do something similar to what you said. He is a fabricator and could do so handily. But my system is so comfortable for me that I have no desire to change things. He's the friend that welds up horseshoes for me to make clocks. Friends are wonderful to have and that's why I am here!

I need your friend. I have nobody to do my welding. I would buy a mig welder but the cheapest, lowest powered one is 90 amps and our park only has 50 amp service. It was built back in the 60's when folks only had one tv and no microwaves. Bummer!

I bought a Lincoln 125 mig about 15 years ago. I loaned it to my best friend who was building a 7 1/2" gauge locomotive. A few weeks ago I got it back. He had to rummage a bit to find it. Another friend is building devise to twist dog bones from polypropylene rope for dogs. He needed the welder so I gave it to him in exchange for putting another gate in my DC and two dog bones. 

Hawk makes a wheel chair accessible stand.. just basically a wide front stance.. looks like it'd take up a lot of room though.. at first I didn't like my Hawk stand compared to my DeWalt three leg stand that I was so used to.. as well as my DeWalt is on quite an angle / tilted that I really loved.. I've tried to raise the back of my Hawk saws... and my Excalibur.. only ended up picking up a lot of vibration... so I put them back level.. Now that I've been using these saws quite a lot over the last 1.5 years and not using my dewalt much at all.. I've grown used to them.. though if / when I do actually sit at my DeWalt.. I do feel more comfortable..  Maybe one day I'll fuss with tilting the other saws again.. when I have more time to tinker around with it.. i'm sure I can probably get the vibration down to a minimum if I took some time to tune the stand and whatever...