Just when I thought I was caught up.....

OCtoolguy

I sat down this morning to do my regular thing on my computer. I hit the space bar to bring it out of "sleep" mode. I heard the hard drive spool up and I waited for the screen to come on. Well, it didn't. I rebooted and it still didn't. I checked all the cables to make sure nothing had come loose. Nada. So, I hooked up a spare 15" monitor I had and it came to life. So, long story short, the monitor that I had been using for the last 12 years or more finally bit the dust. I know it was Mama's turn to buy something but she knows how important my computer is in our lives so, I got the go ahead to buy a new monitor. I found an Acer on Amazon that will match the box that I am using right now. That's another long story. Anyway, while researching that unit, I found that there were 10 factory recons with full warranty for $92. How can I go wrong. I'll even be upgrading to HDMI. And yes, I have a port for that on my box. So, one week from now or sooner, I'll be looking at a 23.5" LED HDMI monitor that should last me to the grave. Or not! Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Thanks for your patience.

12 minutes ago, Rockytime said:

Doesn't that always happen? I can't upgrade my monitor as it is a HP with everything built into the monitor. If it goes I can only scrap it.

That's exactly why I would never own one of those. I like to "fix" stuff and when it's all unitized, that is beyond my abilities. I have built many of these things from pieces and parts. No problem but when everything is on one board, well, the dumpsters are full of them. I'm not a fan of Apple for the same reason.

1 hour ago, lawson56 said:

Can't remember when I bought our present monitor.It has been awhile.Hope yours arrives sooner.😊

Well, it is coming straight from Acer and it will be a week. Luckly, I had this old NEC that was given to me by a friend. I was just on the verge of tossing a whole bunch of electronics that I have been ratholing. Good thing I didn't do it too soon. This little monitor is great except for the area that is visible. I could adjust the thing down and get more on the screen but then I wouldn't be able to see it. The new one will offer me a whole of adjustment. I've been wanting a new one so I guess it is all working out. I even have a computer out in my shop but I'm thinking of letting it go too. Takes up too much space. I've got an old laptop that I might use out there. Back when I was teaching myself how to repair laptops, I acquired a bunch of them. Time to purge.

7 minutes ago, crupiea said:

Same happened to me and I bought a larger monitor and its way better than the little old one I had. My computer doesnt have hdmi output so just used that weird plug in cable thing instead. Looks almost as good as hdmi, i really cant tell the difference.

Just being able to get rid of that big fat old coax cable is a plus. I have a ton of HDMI cables that have never been out of the package. A while back, I was having trouble with the DVR that Verizon supplied us with. They kept sending me rebuilt ones and always with a full set of cables and a new remote. I would try them, find the same problem and send them back. But I always kept all the accessory stuff. So, I have a lifetime supply of remotes and cables.

55 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

Just being able to get rid of that big fat old coax cable is a plus. I have a ton of HDMI cables that have never been out of the package. A while back, I was having trouble with the DVR that Verizon supplied us with. They kept sending me rebuilt ones and always with a full set of cables and a new remote. I would try them, find the same problem and send them back. But I always kept all the accessory stuff. So, I have a lifetime supply of remotes and cables.

Remember when hdmi cables were super expensive?  seems like just a few years ago. I have a lot of them no too. Seems I have some that are not plugged into anything, just seem to be hanging there for some reason. lol

2 minutes ago, crupiea said:

The back of our tv looks like a wire jungle. I put a 48" 12 outlet strip on the wall about 2 feet off the floor just to get all the wires off the floor. It's still a can of worms but at least now we can vacuum under it all. It's amazing how much crap there is plugged in. I think I only have one empty outlet.

Just now, rjweb said:

That’s how things have changed now a days, we live in a throw away society not repair or upgrade our items, RJ 

I blame it all on Bic. I still remember when they brought out the "throw away" ballpoint pen for $.15. That was the beginning of the end. I still try to fix things rather than toss them. But, sadly, this time it's just time for the old monitor to go away.

My bother graduated fro HS in 1947. For graduation my father bought for him among other things a "EverRite" ball pen. It was expensive among other things like LEAK! It had a lifetime warranty so it was returned three times for a replacement. None ever worked. Wish I knew what happened to it, might be worth a few bucks now.

My apology for the "Hello-Jack" of this thread. Hi Jack is a no no.

3 hours ago, Rockytime said:

My bother graduated fro HS in 1947. For graduation my father bought for him among other things a "EverRite" ball pen. It was expensive among other things like LEAK! It had a lifetime warranty so it was returned three times for a replacement. None ever worked. Wish I knew what happened to it, might be worth a few bucks now.

My apology for the "Hello-Jack" of this thread. Hi Jack is a no no.

Hey, it's my thread. I started it and we can talk about whatever we want. No hijacking here. Unless somebody changes the subject. Now, where were we?