Shelf Liner

Rockytime

Yesterday I was preparing some 1/4" BB for scrolling. It had a nice clean surface and I mad sure that it was free of any small debris. I placed the shelf liner on and burnished it with a roller. I noticed one of the corners was lifting. I burnished it down again. I mounted the pattern with spray adhesive. I began cutting and in places the pattern along with the shelf liner would lift on the blade's up stroke. I'm always VERY careful to put the liner and pattern down with HEAVY pressure on the roller. My shelf liner is not old but it is getting to the end of the roll. Perhaps it was old stock in the store but this is the first time it has happened. In the coldest weather my shop never gets below 50 degrees. I'm puzzled.

I've had it happen too... BUT.. It had nothing to do with the shelf liner nor the pattern... some goofball put the blade in upside down so the blade was lifting off the liner/pattern... I'm not sayin who did that though.. 

Ray you stick the shipping label direct to the wood? That was what my original plan was when I started out to be... but the one batch I got was not sticky enough.. next batch I got once it stuck to something... especially something you didn't want it to stick to... it was stuck good.. no getting that off in one piece.. so i still use the liner.. or tape...

3 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

I've had it happen too... BUT.. It had nothing to do with the shelf liner nor the pattern... some goofball put the blade in upside down so the blade was lifting off the liner/pattern... I'm not sayin who did that though.. 

Ray you stick the shipping label direct to the wood? That was what my original plan was when I started out to be... but the one batch I got was not sticky enough.. next batch I got once it stuck to something... especially something you didn't want it to stick to... it was stuck good.. no getting that off in one piece.. so i still use the liner.. or tape...

Yes, I stick it directly to the wood. So far, it has worked great. My problem comes in when I have to use packing tape to hold the pieces in place with compound cutting. I can't figure out why I am getting adhesive residue on the table around the hole where the blade goes through. For the life of me, it just doesn't make sense. There is transfer for some reason. I'm going to keep trying though. The way I see it, the blade goes through the wood/adhesive tape and picks up a bit of the adhesive and how it is getting from the blade to the table is what I can't figure out.

4 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

Yes, I stick it directly to the wood. So far, it has worked great. My problem comes in when I have to use packing tape to hold the pieces in place with compound cutting. I can't figure out why I am getting adhesive residue on the table around the hole where the blade goes through. For the life of me, it just doesn't make sense. There is transfer for some reason. I'm going to keep trying though. The way I see it, the blade goes through the wood/adhesive tape and picks up a bit of the adhesive and how it is getting from the blade to the table is what I can't figure out.

My guess is the blade is hot and the glue is sticking to the bottom side of the wood ( very thin film ) and as you spin the wood around it's probably still warm and gooey until it hits the cool table top and then sticking to the table.. I've had the same thing before... I only ever got that with my DeWalt when running it on or near high speed.. The DeWalt SPM is faster than any of the other saws I have.. others top out at 1500 SPM and the DeWalt is 1750 SPM   I've also had this with solid wood where the sap if not super dried out.. would do the same thing

1 minute ago, kmmcrafts said:

My guess is the blade is hot and the glue is sticking to the bottom side of the wood ( very thin film ) and as you spin the wood around it's probably still warm and gooey until it hits the cool table top and then sticking to the table.. I've had the same thing before... I only ever got that with my DeWalt when running it on or near high speed.. The DeWalt SPM is faster than any of the other saws I have.. others top out at 1500 SPM and the DeWalt is 1750 SPM   I've also had this with solid wood where the sap if not super dried out.. would do the same thing

Well, I'm having the problem on my EX but I must admit that I never did any compound cutting on the Dewalt. I have waxed the heck out of the tables but so far the problem is just on the EX and with compound cuts. Of course, I never have to use the packing tape on any of the other stuff I've done.

Howdy folks, 

I must be the short bull in the pen, on account of I'm still usin' blue painters tape. I do as much of my final sanding as possible before I even begin to consider placement of the pattern. It may sound bassackwards, but, especially with my feathers, little butterflies and crosses, once they are cut, they are to fragile to do much sandin' on. It's enough of a job to get the pattern off without breakin' the project to pieces, much less to go to sandin' on it. Sometimes, on those little pieces, I'll soak the tape with paint thinner from a spray bottle, then let it set awhile so the thinner can dissolve the glue on the tape, then the tape comes right off w/out destroyin' the project.

As for them shippin' labels, or the transfer pages, I ain't never used any of them. I been readin' about you fellers usin' them. Where are ya gettin' them? Compared to the blue painter's tape, is it more cost efficient?  Around here, I am payin' anywhere from $6 - $8.50 a roll for the 2'' blue tape.

How is it to clean off your projects? Does it take an act of congress to get it cleaned off, or is it an easier clean up than than the painter's tape?? 

Enlighten me some, folks. If ya wouldn't mind.

Sawdust703(Brad)

3 hours ago, SCROLLSAW703 said:

Howdy folks, 

I must be the short bull in the pen, on account of I'm still usin' blue painters tape. I do as much of my final sanding as possible before I even begin to consider placement of the pattern. It may sound bassackwards, but, especially with my feathers, little butterflies and crosses, once they are cut, they are to fragile to do much sandin' on. It's enough of a job to get the pattern off without breakin' the project to pieces, much less to go to sandin' on it. Sometimes, on those little pieces, I'll soak the tape with paint thinner from a spray bottle, then let it set awhile so the thinner can dissolve the glue on the tape, then the tape comes right off w/out destroyin' the project.

As for them shippin' labels, or the transfer pages, I ain't never used any of them. I been readin' about you fellers usin' them. Where are ya gettin' them? Compared to the blue painter's tape, is it more cost efficient?  Around here, I am payin' anywhere from $6 - $8.50 a roll for the 2'' blue tape.

How is it to clean off your projects? Does it take an act of congress to get it cleaned off, or is it an easier clean up than than the painter's tape?? 

Enlighten me some, folks. If ya wouldn't mind.

Sawdust703(Brad)

Brad, I use the labels. I bought a package of 100 full sheet labels from some outfit on Amazon for about $8 if I recall. Free shipping for Prime members. Anyway, they are as sticky as the shelf liner and if left on for a while, I just use a heat gun to make them almost fall off. I started out using spray glue right onto the wood because I didn't know any better. The blue tape shocked me when I saw the price of it. I keep a roll for those times when I don't have a pattern printed on a label. Like this afternoon, I wanted to redo one piece of my project so I just ran in the house, scanned the pattern and printed it on a piece of white paper. Then back out to the shop and cut it to fit the wood. I did use blue tape and spray glue. By the way, I have 3M77 in a big can and it is very sticky. I also have a can of Elmer's. A nice small can, Easy to handle. I used it today for the first time and I like it. I may just switch to using it. Anyway, back to your original question. I find that the labels are great. I have a roll of shelf liner also. I will continue to use both as well as just blue tape and spray glue. I like them all.