MDF is not EVIL

John B

John I don't think people say it's not a good medium to make things from it's the dust it creates and damage to your lungs I don't care if you wear a mask it's when you take that mask off it's still in the air and sticks to your lungs and you go back later it everywhere you won't convince me to use it sorry John.☹️

I tried it on my CNC never again. If it works for you then fine keep doing what your doing. :thumbs:Roly

Roly and Lawson I can understand you concerns, and it is entirely a choice whether to use MDF. Australian Safety standards for MDF recommend the wearing of aP1 mask, the same type that is quite adequate for any other woodworking operation along with safety glasses . They also recommend the wearing of the same category mask when working with Soft and Hard woods. I must admit, that sometimes after routing the stuff I do look a little like a snowman, but then again after sanding Jarrah I look like a mud hole ;)
The formaldehyde levels in Australian MDF are a fraction of the amount considered as possibly dangerous by the world health organisation. I can not say that about the stuff used in some imported cabinets as you smell it leaching out.

Edited by John B

5 minutes ago, NC Scroller said:

All saw dust is bad for us. MDF is some of the worst because of the chemicals used to make it.  It is only evil in that perspective.

The reason I put this up was not to spruik up the good points about MDF but I have seen in many scroll saw facebook pages and woodworking pages people stating that MDF is rubbish, etc etc. Also to show how it can be finished as there has been a few questions on how well it finished etc. MDF is the mainstay of the Australian Kitchen Cabinet and Furniture industry. We use very little plywood, probably because of how dear it is.

I believe MDF gets the reputation it deserves. It is a manmade product with adhesives and finely ground products and other ingredients. I have no idea what Australia MDF is compared to what is made and imported in the states. All dust is bad for the lungs and that includes all woods, concrete and even ordinary house dust. Precautions prevail in the use or the proximity you are to this stuff. Dust control is very important when using MDF. Yes it is stable and very flat because it is a man made product that does not move but will warp. It is used here as well in the cabinet industry but the machines and dust control that is used is far superior to what the homeowner uses. Once painted and sealed it is fine but if broken then you now exposed the same risks again. It is a heavy product so that must be taken in consideration. If worked in a small enclosed shop that dust will get on all things and be the enemy it is for a long time because it is stirred up again and again. Containing at the source is the best way to control. I do not use it and have on occasion for odd projects. Too many other things that can be used and the dangers are in the shop all the time and if there is one possibility I can eliminate a danger I sure will try.  This is one reason I try to do all my hand sanding out doors all year long. Just one factor I can at least cut down on. 

Your projects all came out well and look great. I am sure they are being enjoyed by many. Keep up the good work and thanks for showing. But work safe. 

Those toys are really nice, John. I use MDF for my jigs and utility gadgets in the shop. I never thought of it as evil. I'm not sure about the stuff you get in Australia, but the stuff I get is heavy because of the glue/sawdust mix. But, as long as it doesn't get wet, it doesn't warp like plywood does.

I made a table & chair set out of MDF, years ago, for one of the grandkids. Unfortunately, it spent the summer in the backyard through sun, wind and rain. It was spray painted with enamel, but that wasn't enough to protect it and it didn't survive the weather. Of course, plywood, without the proper paint job or finish will do the same thing.

I really like those train sets you made. They are really cute and probably very popular.

42 minutes ago, tgiro said:

Those toys are really nice, John. I use MDF for my jigs and utility gadgets in the shop. I never thought of it as evil. I'm not sure about the stuff you get in Australia, but the stuff I get is heavy because of the glue/sawdust mix. But, as long as it doesn't get wet, it doesn't warp like plywood does.

I made a table & chair set out of MDF, years ago, for one of the grandkids. Unfortunately, it spent the summer in the backyard through sun, wind and rain. It was spray painted with enamel, but that wasn't enough to protect it and it didn't survive the weather. Of course, plywood, without the proper paint job or finish will do the same thing.

I really like those train sets you made. They are really cute and probably very popular.

Thanks Tony,
It sure is heavy especially those 8 x 4 sheets of 3/4.
I have almost cried a couple of times when I have seen the Melamine coated Kiddies tables and chairs I have made left outside in the rain and people have asked if I can fix them ?????
It definitely doesn't like water.
There is another grade HMR (High Moisture Resistant) for use in bathrooms etc, but don't let it sit in water or it will balloon too.
cheers

• 1 year later...

@John B

I have made quite a few toys from MDF. It holds up surprisingly well. You need to understand its weaknesses and build accordingly.

MDF is surprisingly strong. I made a spider for my grandson with MDF thinking he would soon break it.  Three years later, and it's not broken yet.

I have made cars and puzzles too.

One advantage it has over wood for toy making is that it does not splinter.

Many commercially produced toys are made from MDF. My grandson has a toy hammer that has an MDF head. He has used it extensively. The hammer is beaten up but hasn't broken.

20170901-131640 - Halloween Cut Outs - Spider.jpg

20201105-101519 Handmade Wood Toy Car Hot Rod Freaky Ford 32 Deuce Coupe Orange Amber Shellac Black 522647814.jpg