Well, I joined the club!

OCtoolguy

I'm not happy about joining the club but I finally did it. I put a blade in upside down. I blame it all on Pegas. I had used F/D blades and they have the little dimple ground into the top of them. So, I just got a gross of Pegas MG blades and they have marked the ends of theirs with a tiny, well I don't know what you would call it, but it denotes one end from the other. I assumed, and that is where I screwed up, that the marked end was the UP and the plain end would be down. I couldn't figure out why my pattern was lifting along the cut line. The blade was cutting fine because it is a reverse blade. So, I didn't realize at first what was happening. I finally had the "uh huh" moment and saw what was going on. So, a word to the wise if you use Pegas blades. They are marked but the opposite of the F/D blades. Dang!!!

1 hour ago, octoolguy said:

I'm not happy about joining the club but I finally did it. I put a blade in upside down. I blame it all on Pegas. I had used F/D blades and they have the little dimple ground into the top of them. So, I just got a gross of Pegas MG blades and they have marked the ends of theirs with a tiny, well I don't know what you would call it, but it denotes one end from the other. I assumed, and that is where I screwed up, that the marked end was the UP and the plain end would be down. I couldn't figure out why my pattern was lifting along the cut line. The blade was cutting fine because it is a reverse blade. So, I didn't realize at first what was happening. I finally had the "uh huh" moment and saw what was going on. So, a word to the wise if you use Pegas blades. They are marked but the opposite of the F/D blades. Dang!!!

Guess you just taught me something new.. I didn't know the Pegas was marked? I may need to look closer at them? or maybe putting my glasses on.. 

Gotta say though.. the first two years on my scroll sawing.. I didn't even know there was a right side up on blades... In fact.. when it got dull on one end.. I just flipped ends and sawed with the other end until it got dull.. You might find it funny.. but if a blade is really dull and I'm almost done with my project.. I sometimes will still put in the opposite end just to finish the last bit.. LOL.. doesn't matter to me.. as long as it's sharp and cuts.. 😂

4 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

Guess you just taught me something new.. I didn't know the Pegas was marked? I may need to look closer at them? or maybe putting my glasses on.. 

Gotta say though.. the first two years on my scroll sawing.. I didn't even know there was a right side up on blades... In fact.. when it got dull on one end.. I just flipped ends and sawed with the other end until it got dull.. You might find it funny.. but if a blade is really dull and I'm almost done with my project.. I sometimes will still put in the opposite end just to finish the last bit.. LOL.. doesn't matter to me.. as long as it's sharp and cuts.. 😂

What keeps it from lifting the wood?

4 hours ago, octoolguy said:

What keeps it from lifting the wood?

I guess you have to hold onto the wood better.. LOL

Back when I was doing this without realizing it.. I was to using the FD-TC ( two way cut ) blades.. But if you've used the FD-UR blades you probably notice that you have to keep more pressure on the wood as they have reverse teeth all the way up the blade too.. almost the same blade as the  FD-TC blade.. But these blades it does work better upside down than the regular reverse blades... It is much more noticeable when you use a regular reverse tooth blade like the pegas MG though as then all teeth are pointed up if it's upside down.. and I don't think I've yet installed one like that.. 

With the FD-TC and the FD-UR blades.. you pretty much know right away what way the blade is in because you know how the blade cuts on a slight right angle? well if its in backwards.. it cuts on a slightly left angle, LOL... . Now.. that's a good test to a good scroll sawer... saw for an hour or two.. then switch the blade end for end and see how good you are at staying on the line... I got use to doing that.. somehow.. 😂 

Howdy,

As many years as I've been scrollin', I never paid no mind to any top or bottom markings. I have always run my finger down the blade, and set the teeth pointin' down. Reckon ya learned this ol' jaybird somethin' new, too, Mr. Ray! Reckon I'll have to have a look see at my FD & Olson blades next time my great grandkids let me escape for a few minutes to get to the wood shop!;)

That's a new one on me. Course, what few Pegasus blades I did test drive, I didn't much care for, so I just stayed with FD and Olson. I reckon I've used them to many years to change now. They are kinda like a broke-in Peterbilt.;) After you've sit in the pilot seat of it enough miles, ya get to know its habits and ideas, and know what to expect from it.;) Just my .02 pennies worth.

Sawdust703(Brad)

4 hours ago, SCROLLSAW703 said:

Howdy,

As many years as I've been scrollin', I never paid no mind to any top or bottom markings. I have always run my finger down the blade, and set the teeth pointin' down. Reckon ya learned this ol' jaybird somethin' new, too, Mr. Ray! Reckon I'll have to have a look see at my FD & Olson blades next time my great grandkids let me escape for a few minutes to get to the wood shop!;)

That's a new one on me. Course, what few Pegasus blades I did test drive, I didn't much care for, so I just stayed with FD and Olson. I reckon I've used them to many years to change now. They are kinda like a broke-in Peterbilt.;) After you've sit in the pilot seat of it enough miles, ya get to know its habits and ideas, and know what to expect from it.;) Just my .02 pennies worth.

Sawdust703(Brad)

I started out with the F/D reverse but since I found Pegas, I really like them better. I think they stay sharp a bit longer and cut straighter.

17 hours ago, SCROLLSAW703 said:

Howdy,

Sawdust703(Brad)

I don't think Olson marks their blades in any way Brad. As far as I knew, FD were the only ones until I got this last batch of Pegas.

45 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

I don't think Olson marks their blades in any way Brad. As far as I knew, FD were the only ones until I got this last batch of Pegas.

Where is the mark on Pegas? Maybe something new they are doing? I've never seen any marks on the Pegas.. be nice if they did.. I usually just look under my magnifier to see what way the teeth are pointing.. If you notice right before the bottom there will be a small gap before the reverse teeth... I always look for that gap then I know that's the bottom of the blade.. Short of that.. I've never seen any markings.. I do like those FD blades the way they mark them.. but.. only their UR blades are actually marked.. unless someone knows something I don't..anyway.. 

Heh.  I called it quits last night when I moved my blade to a new hole, got everything set and clamped, got my magnifier moved over, hit the power, and then tried to feed the blade.....and it did NOTHING.  Almost as if there were a scrap of wood getting caught in the cutout of the table, but even then I'd get a quarter-inch movement before it caught.  Tried going in different spots from the guide hole, thinking maybe I'd hit a knot or solid chunk of something, but zero movement whatsoever.  So I shut down, released the blade....and realized it was in backwards.  *sigh*  That's when you know you're done for the evening.

28 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

Where is the mark on Pegas? Maybe something new they are doing? I've never seen any marks on the Pegas.. be nice if they did.. I usually just look under my magnifier to see what way the teeth are pointing.. If you notice right before the bottom there will be a small gap before the reverse teeth... I always look for that gap then I know that's the bottom of the blade.. Short of that.. I've never seen any markings.. I do like those FD blades the way they mark them.. but.. only their UR blades are actually marked.. unless someone knows something I don't..anyway.. 

Kevin, the tip of one end has been ground so that it is partially gone. Just the very tip. That's the bottom end.

2 hours ago, RabidAlien said:

Heh.  I called it quits last night when I moved my blade to a new hole, got everything set and clamped, got my magnifier moved over, hit the power, and then tried to feed the blade.....and it did NOTHING.  Almost as if there were a scrap of wood getting caught in the cutout of the table, but even then I'd get a quarter-inch movement before it caught.  Tried going in different spots from the guide hole, thinking maybe I'd hit a knot or solid chunk of something, but zero movement whatsoever.  So I shut down, released the blade....and realized it was in backwards.  *sigh*  That's when you know you're done for the evening.

If that ever happens with a spiral blade.. I think it'd be time to sell the saw and pick up a different hobby..😂

3 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

If that ever happens with a spiral blade.. I think it'd be time to sell the saw and pick up a different hobby..😂

I confess, that I have also tried to saw with an upside down spiral blade. 😕

In fact, I worked with spiral blades for couple of days before  realized that they, like regular blades, even had an up and a down. 😕 😕 😕

Edited by Frank Pellow