F4U-1 Corsair

munzieb

Awesome pattern, awesome plane!  The F4-U almost didn't make it as a fighter until they put a longer-bladed prop on it, which allowed the plane to take full advantage of the more powerful engine....however, the length of the props caused them to whack the ground or flight deck, destroying the props or the wooden decks.  So the wings were re-configured to the gull-wing design (based on the German Stuka?  Not sure on that one), which raised up the nose of the aircraft enough to keep the prop from hitting the ground, and also gave it the convenience of making the folding wings easier, allowing more to be brought on board a carrier.  Once the gull-wing was put into production, the F4U became a VERY formidable fighter, easily on par with the Japanese Zero (which was flying circles around everything else the Allies had in the air at the time).  Pilots in Chennault's American Volunteer Group would claim "battle damage" to their P40's and bail out over friendly territory, allowing their (never verified, of course) unscathed P40's to crash into the jungles so that they could get an F4U replacement.

4 hours ago, Jim Finn said:

I was once a Jet fighter mechanic, but  always like the corsair.  I even put a corsair on my shop wall.  Yes, that is a ceiling fan on the wall.813204465_Mural004.thumb.jpg.afb23ff07813dab62a11c00069ec736d.jpg

Yeah, I was one too. Went to A&P after the AF and worked on Corp. Jets. My old Chief of Maint. got his pilots licence in 1930. Lots of great stories of  Old time Teterboro. Met Earhart and flew DC-3'a over the hump in WWII. Working on a TBM right now. Cockpit canopy is tough. Lots of intersecting lines. BTW that painting looks great. Need to paint yellow tips on the prop.

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 8:38 AM, RabidAlien said:

Awesome pattern, awesome plane!  The F4-U almost didn't make it as a fighter until they put a longer-bladed prop on it, which allowed the plane to take full advantage of the more powerful engine....however, the length of the props caused them to whack the ground or flight deck, destroying the props or the wooden decks.  So the wings were re-configured to the gull-wing design (based on the German Stuka?  Not sure on that one), which raised up the nose of the aircraft enough to keep the prop from hitting the ground, and also gave it the convenience of making the folding wings easier, allowing more to be brought on board a carrier.  Once the gull-wing was put into production, the F4U became a VERY formidable fighter, easily on par with the Japanese Zero (which was flying circles around everything else the Allies had in the air at the time).  Pilots in Chennault's American Volunteer Group would claim "battle damage" to their P40's and bail out over friendly territory, allowing their (never verified, of course) unscathed P40's to crash into the jungles so that they could get an F4U replacement.

Interesting story.  Never heard that before. Thanks for taking the time to write and post it for the rest of us

Dick

heppnerguy