First Boxes I have made

meflick

Beautiful work!! I love doing the bandsaw boxes... other than the fact that every time I want to make some my saw is set up with the big re-saw blade and it's quite a process to keep changing it from one thing to the next... so... I guess maybe I just need another bandsaw 😂

They came out great. You are a quick learner. You know though you just went down a different tunnel with no way out. There are so many different patterns out there and also easy to make your own patterns for. The sky is the limit on these too. I need to get back to some of these too. My plate is full and not enough time in the day but when people show things like this I just want to do some too. I have saw dust running in my veins. Thanks for showing.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments.  They are fairly simple to do once you understand the basics.  Hope to do some more soon. Need to get some boards glued up first.

On 1/26/2019 at 5:06 PM, Rockytime said:

Those look great Melanie! Nice choice of wood too. Was that a 1/4" blade or smaller?

Les, he recommends using a 1/2" resew blade for the thicker, straight cuts and a 3/16" skip tooth blade with 4 tpi for the curves. I haven't been able to find a 3/16" yet, so I used the 1/4" skip tooth blade with 4 tpi that I did have and it worked fine so far. Kevin, yes - changing the blades out on hubby's big saw, was the main reason I had not tried them previously.  It is really easy however to change the blades on the 10" table bandsaw. Denny, it would be great to come back down to Dayton and see you at the shop sometime.  John, you are definitely right, I keep falling down different rabbit holes with my woodworking - usually thanks to people here in the Village showing something and me saying "oh, that's cool, I want to try that." 😉☺️ I hope those of you who said I want to try those, will at some point.  They really are not too hard and fun to do.

On 1/28/2019 at 7:32 AM, meflick said:

Thanks everyone for the kind comments.  They are fairly simple to do once you understand the basics.  Hope to do some more soon. Need to get some boards glued up first.

Les, he recommends using a 1/2" resew blade for the thicker, straight cuts and a 3/16" skip tooth blade with 4 tpi for the curves. I haven't been able to find a 3/16" yet, so I used the 1/4" skip tooth blade with 4 tpi that I did have and it worked fine so far. Kevin, yes - changing the blades out on hubby's big saw, was the main reason I had not tried them previously.  It is really easy however to change the blades on the 10" table bandsaw. Denny, it would be great to come back down to Dayton and see you at the shop sometime.  John, you are definitely right, I keep falling down different rabbit holes with my woodworking - usually thanks to people here in the Village showing something and me saying "oh, that's cool, I want to try that." 😉☺️ I hope those of you who said I want to try those, will at some point.  They really are not too hard and fun to do.

meflick

Posted March 11, 2018

Welcome to the Village from East Tennessee, in the foothills of the a great Smoky Mountains.

I love the idea and visuals of bandsaw boxes. One day I will attempt one perhaps.

Remember this?  Your "attempts" look great.

Really nice boxes.  That is a great book.  I learned a bunch from it.

I have not been around here too much because ....well, I have been building boxes.

SS was made for creating tiny pulls for band saw box drawers.

I have been running 3/16" blade in the plastic guides on the Laguna.

Works well for all but the most fine detail stuff.

Actually, no, I don't remember that specific post  (I am presently over 2,200 in almost 3 years here) and am on pretty regularly couple times a day "just checking in". 😉 However, I know I have posted several times on here with folks bandsaw boxes that I wanted to give them a try one day.  Glad my "one day" finally rolled around.  I still want to make more.  Just need to get some boards and get them glued up. Hope to do that sooner then later. Maybe one day I will have a great bunch like yours. Thanks for the reminder!

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 11:48 AM, meflick said:

Technically, these are "bandsaw boxes" BUT the handles were cut on my scroll saw. 😉 While we already had an 18"  floor model bandsaw (well hubby did) in the shop, he got me a smaller 10" tabletop Rikon bandsaw for Christmas.  I like it for most of my needs and it is easy enough for me to change out the blades on it as needed.  He also built me a stand to put it on.  (Yes, he's a keeper. 🤫)  I had been wanting to try to make some bandsaw boxes for quite a while (probably after several were shared here in 

I think that once you get the hang of changing a blade on your 10",

you will be able to do it on the 18".  What kind of saw is it?

On the 18" you will have the capability to mill raw logs into boxes.

Edited by justdraftn
additional thoughts