A Couple Projects

JTTHECLOCKMAN

12 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

185028-poll-pen-stand-pen-box-img_7894.j

Thanks for showing what took first place JT.  It's interesting looking.  Not sure what the judging criteria was that is used.  However, beauty is always in the eye of the beholder (or the judge) 😉. Personally, while I find this one interesting to look at - I find your's much more pleasing to my eye.  I think its because of the pop of colors yours have for one thing. Are there any "rules" that each of you must follow in developing your project(s)? I ask because they are clearly very different takes on the general overall idea of a pen holder.

40 minutes ago, meflick said:

Thanks for showing what took first place JT.  It's interesting looking.  Not sure what the judging criteria was that is used.  However, beauty is always in the eye of the beholder (or the judge) 😉. Personally, while I find this one interesting to look at - I find your's much more pleasing to my eye.  I think its because of the pop of colors yours have for one thing. Are there any "rules" that each of you must follow in developing your project(s)? I ask because they are clearly very different takes on the general overall idea of a pen holder.

Not many rules, just that it has to be hand made and no CNC or laser work. Can not show it anytime through other sites or anywhere before the contest. Can not use a pen you made which can give it away of who made it before end of contest. Have to be a member in good standings of the site. Any theme or design is acceptable. These are judged by the membership over a few day period. 140 people judged this.  

Have to say I agree with you on the look of his. Not sure what he was going for but what it shows is all the different techniques that can be done on a lathe with all the various turnings. Hopefully he will explain his project more in the coming days there. Thanks for your kind words. 

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

27 minutes ago, rjweb said:

Beautiful pieces, how long did these take to complete, RJ 

I worked on these and 5 different pens which I entered in separate contests too and started about the third week in Dec after my shows. I finished in time Feb 15 with all projects to get them in time for the contests. So not working on every day but pretty regular that was about how much time.