Scrolling With Magnification

Rockytime

Well the magnification dilemma ended this morning. My $25 1.25X mag light arrived this morning. I was not expecting much and was very pleasantly surprised. The lamp is very well constructed although the lid reminds me pf a toilet cover. It dropped into the old mounting and was plugged in. It is LED and the light appears a little more bluish than the the other lamp bit is pleasant. The focal length is ideal. I now sit upright which is a delight. The glass optic is 5" diameter and the focus is very crisp. I did find that it was much sharper when I did not wear my reading glasses. Also, when wearing magnifiers  It was necessary to look over or under them when looking at something else. This gives me complete vision freedom. My back appreciates it.

1-20190425_153221.jpg

33 minutes ago, Rockytime said:

Well the magnification dilemma ended this morning. My $25 1.25X mag light arrived this morning. I was not expecting much and was very pleasantly surprised. The lamp is very well constructed although the lid reminds me pf a toilet cover. It dropped into the old mounting and was plugged in. It is LED and the light appears a little more bluish than the the other lamp bit is pleasant. The focal length is ideal. I now sit upright which is a delight. The glass optic is 5" diameter and the focus is very crisp. I did find that it was much sharper when I did not wear my reading glasses. Also, when wearing magnifiers  It was necessary to look over or under them when looking at something else. This gives me complete vision freedom. My back appreciates it.

1-20190425_153221.jpg

NICE. Hope it works well for you. With the lid folding up I wonder when it gets in the way and you cut it off. RJF

21 hours ago, Rockytime said:

1-20190425_153221.jpg

Did you mention early on where you purchased this one Les? If it is as good as you say, I might just order one for my Hawk.

On 4/25/2019 at 8:40 AM, meflick said:

I have two of what many would consider to be "expensive" high end magnifying lights.  I bought them from Judy Gale Roberts after having used them in her classroom studio.  You can find them on her site here: https://intarsia.com/collections/hardware/products/new-led-daylight-slimline-magnifying-lamp  It comes with 2 different diopter lenses that are 5" wide.  It has little to no distortion even at the edges of the lenses.

I have been using mine for about 3 years now.  I couldn't scroll without it. I need the light and the magnification.  As I noted, it comes with two different lenses (1.75X and 2.25X) that you can swap in or out.  I would say they are indeed high quality with little distortion.  After buying the first one at Judy's, I decided I needed a second one for the second saw I had.  Instead of buying another one from Judy and since this was a saw that was not my "main" saw, I thought I would save a little money and buy a cheaper one.  I think I tried two.  Neither of them were nearly the quality of the one bought from Judy's shop.  The lenses were not the same quality and had a lot more distortion with them especially around the edges, and there were "shadows" that I don't get with the one I bought at Judy's.  As a result, I got rid of those and got a 2nd one from Judy and haven't looked back.  Well worth the expense in my opinion, especially if you use your saws as much as you do Kevin. MFRP is around $260.  Judy's price is $152.10 and notes its $20 shipping (but also notes that shipping can vary - she usually only charges actual shipping cost.)  This is in part due to how heavy it is (the lenses are very heavy) and the box is not small. It has a spring arm that clamps on.  Mine are both clamped on my saws and I don't get any vibration that moves it.

When I bought the second one, I decided to look around and see if I could find it cheaper then I could at Judy's site. I looked at Amazon and the Manufacturer's site and both were more then at Judy's site.  I just checked both again.  On Amazon, there are 3 listings.  2 are much higher and then there is one listing slightly cheaper then Judy's and list it with free shipping ($149.95 and free shipping so perhaps a savings of about $2 on the light and the shipping cost.)  I know if anything was wrong - Judy would attempt to make it right though. The Amazon listings I found are here: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Daylight+Slimline+LED+Magnifying+Lamp&rh=p_89%3ADaylight&dc&qid=1556194395&rnid=2528832011&ref=sr_nr_p_89_1

It is $255 on the Manufacturer's site and appears to show free shipping from there: https://daylightcompany.com/slimline-led-magnifying-lamp-daylight-25030.html.html

I will also note that I did not have to pay shipping for the ones I bought from Judy because I live about 40 minutes away from her shop.  The first one I bought while I was in an Intarsia class there and brought it home.  The second one, I also bought when I went back for a second class.  Because I live local, I didn't have to worry about shipping it home or getting it home if I had flown in for a class.  I do know that if they every went out, I would quickly be seeking the same quality light as quickly as possible.

I know several others who have taken her classes have also purchased the light after using them in her classes.  I know that @NC Scroller Scott also bought one when I bought mine as we were in the same class.

I'd be curious about seeing one of these in person, LOL... The description states there are 756 lumens.... The LED replacements I buy are 1300 Lumens and 6000K color.. But.. really the amount of light is probably not as much an issue IF you have a good clear lens with a fair amount of light.. sometimes I feel my light is two bright.. so I have to close one eye to get only half the light as Ray said.. 😂

1 hour ago, kmmcrafts said:

I'd be curious about seeing one of these in person, LOL... The description states there are 756 lumens.... The LED replacements I buy are 1300 Lumens and 6000K color.. But.. really the amount of light is probably not as much an issue IF you have a good clear lens with a fair amount of light.. sometimes I feel my light is two bright.. so I have to close one eye to get only half the light as Ray said.. 😂

One of these help with dimming your light? RJF

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=plug+in+led+light+dimmer&rh=p_72%3A2661618011&s=relevanceblender&dc&ascsubtag=1ba00-01000-org00-win10-dsk00-nomod-us000-gatwy-feature-SEARC&qid=1556327904&rnid=2661617011&tag=amz-mkt-fox-us-20&ref=sr_nr_p_72_1

13 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

Well come on down to East TN - you can either visit Judy's shop or come visit mine. 😉 Visiting Judy's shop would be much more inspiring however - just seeing all of her Intarsia work would leave you in awe.  🙂 Mine - not so much. 🙄

On 4/21/2019 at 3:11 PM, Rockytime said:

I have an LED magnifying light with a 5 diopter lens. I only use the light for illumination. I scroll using a magnifying glasses. I scroll with my nose rally close to the table and hunched over uncomfortably. I was hoping the magnifier lamp would work for me but it is too powerful. The magnifier needs to almost touch the table to be in focus. I found an LED magnifier with a 1.25 diopter lens for $25 on ebay. That's really cheap so I won't know how good it is until I get it this coming week. Hopefully it will permit me to sit upright and still view the blade and pattern well. There really is no question here except I'm wondering if other scrollers use a low diopter LED lamp. I have found them hard to find.

The photo shows how close 5 diopters need to be to the table to be in focus.

1-20190420_171508.jpg

@Rockytimeis this the one you bought on eBay?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-25X-Desktop-Magnifier-Lamp-LED-Task-Light-Round-Lens-with-Clamp-White/142821518166?hash=item2140d36b56:g:YfsAAOSwgStbFWiR

11 hours ago, meflick said:

Well come on down to East TN - you can either visit Judy's shop or come visit mine. 😉 Visiting Judy's shop would be much more inspiring however - just seeing all of her Intarsia work would leave you in awe.  🙂 Mine - not so much. 🙄

That'd be a fun road trip.. TN is my favorite state that I've been too.. If I were to ever move.. it'd probably be to TN..  

4 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

That'd be a fun road trip.. TN is my favorite state that I've been too.. If I were to ever move.. it'd probably be to TN..  

Our long time neighbors retired at a young age and bought an old house that had been all modernized on 11 acres. It had been a tobacco farm about 100 years ago. Now, it has become 18 acres with the addition of some neighboring land. Check out Rowdy Dogs Farm on Facebook. She posts tons of pictures of all the critters that they have since added. We visited them a couple of years back when we still had our motorhome and we parked in their driveway. Every morning we were awakened by the braying of their donkey Jackpot. I fell in love with Tennessee and I know I would love their politics there a lot better than where I live. But, at our age, we ain't going nowhere anytime soon.

https://www.facebook.com/RowdyDogsFarm/