A Great Informative Finishing Video

I have chatted with a few of you folks about finishing and for the most part, I learned a lot. I even went so far as to buy a recommended book on the subject. I got part way through it and fell asleep. Sorry but, it's boring stuff. Anyway, after once again asking the questions about finishes and finishing, I did a search on Google regarding the sources for buying different products. In doing that I came across this video on the finishing process and all the different types of products out there. It told me so much and added to what I already had learned here that I just had to pass the link on for others. This guy knows his stuff and even does a question and answer thing toward the end. I hope you find it as informative as I did.

https://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/e/e/3/ee31d705ecc2a5f0/107-OilBasedFinishBasics.mp4?c_id=7419263&cs_id=7419263&expiration=1556742326&hwt=6f7965ee02669eecfd12ddb58ea47395

Mark Spagnola, The Wood Whisperer, has a lot of excellent videos on woodworking.  He's very knowledgeable and his videos are well done.  

We all learn differently and videos like this are just another tool in the tool box, just like books, internet forums, etc.  Use them all to your advantage.

I ran across this a ear or so ago ( I think it was ) and I had issues watching it as Paul said.. tried again yesterday and same deal.. I did make it to around 18-20 minutes before I gave up, LOL  then later I came back and it worked great.. maybe the server for his video was over loaded with everyone watching, LOL.. 

I do agree.. I look for videos rather than books... for one I learn better by seeing it or actually hearing it than the written word.. secondly.. most times you can find a free video.. books cost money and then when you're done either take up space in your bookcase or you have to get rid of it.. LOL

It was very informational I enjoyed it a great deal.. thank you for reminding me of this.. since I tried watching a long time ago and gave up.. then since forgot, lol

I too tried to take a look at it but it loads too slow and too many pauses. I figured it was my old computer and slow DSL service. But it is one person's point of view. Everyone does things differently. I am sure there is some good info in there and seeing someone do something is easier to comprehend than reading it.  

4 hours ago, Scrappile said:

I watched him often over the years.  He has come a long ways.  For some reason I now have trouble with video watching on my computer.  They constantly pause and play catch up.  Very annoying.  Not sure way, maybe I need to upgrade my service, or my router or something.

More than likely it's slow wifi/internet. If your computer used to function ok, I'd think it's slow internet. Try it late at night and see if it is better. The more folks online, the slower it is. I have Verizon FIOS 100/100 and it's fast. My laptop runs Win 10 and is an I-5 processor with 8 gig of RAM if that tells you anything for comparison.

I had absolutely no pausing or stops. It ran smoothly all the way through. If you have trouble, just let it load the buffer while you go make a snack or something.

Edited by octoolguy

3 hours ago, octoolguy said:

More than likely it's slow wifi/internet. If your computer used to function ok, I'd think it's slow internet. Try it late at night and see if it is better. The more folks online, the slower it is. I have Verizon FIOS 100/100 and it's fast. My laptop runs Win 10 and is an I-5 processor with 8 gig of RAM if that tells you anything for comparison.

I had absolutely no pausing or stops. It ran smoothly all the way through. If you have trouble, just let it load the buffer while you go make a snack or something.

Now that talk sounds like a teen talking tech... LOL I don't find too many folks older than 30 years old that really understands that info.. 

BTW. For me.. it's the slow internet I have DSL and it's slow.. I have three speed packages to choose from 4/512 ,  8/1 or 16/1 Then on top of that.. we are bogged down based on load of their server system.. Unless we pay for a business plan which puts us on a different system than everyone else which supposedly isn't bogged down, LOL.. Got a friend on the business one and only difference is he has a higher speed during the busiest times where mine bogs down.. fortunately the time is typically during a time I don't really have a "Need" for it..  The price of these are crazy for the business one and it really only enhances the speed in a 5-6 hour window... usually when I'm busy with family things anyway. so no real reason for me to upgrade.. I'd do it in a heartbeat if it were getting higher speeds etc.. but since I'm still limited and only enhanced during a 5ish hour window.. It's not worth the extra $20-30 a month to me..

1 hour ago, kmmcrafts said:

Now that talk sounds like a teen talking tech... LOL I don't find too many folks older than 30 years old that really understands that info.. 

BTW. For me.. it's the slow internet I have DSL and it's slow.. I have three speed packages to choose from 4/512 ,  8/1 or 16/1 Then on top of that.. we are bogged down based on load of their server system.. Unless we pay for a business plan which puts us on a different system than everyone else which supposedly isn't bogged down, LOL.. Got a friend on the business one and only difference is he has a higher speed during the busiest times where mine bogs down.. fortunately the time is typically during a time I don't really have a "Need" for it..  The price of these are crazy for the business one and it really only enhances the speed in a 5-6 hour window... usually when I'm busy with family things anyway. so no real reason for me to upgrade.. I'd do it in a heartbeat if it were getting higher speeds etc.. but since I'm still limited and only enhanced during a 5ish hour window.. It's not worth the extra $20-30 a month to me..

Kevin, it's all a part of our package. We are tv freaks. We watch a lot of tv. So, with that said, we subscribe to Verizon/Frontier and have everything they offer for tv. We have a landline phone and high speed internet. All for only $190/month. I have to fight them every 12 months to keep the price down. This time, we locked THEM  into a 2-year deal. So no ups for 24 months. 

1 hour ago, octoolguy said:

Kevin, it's all a part of our package. We are tv freaks. We watch a lot of tv. So, with that said, we subscribe to Verizon/Frontier and have everything they offer for tv. We have a landline phone and high speed internet. All for only $190/month. I have to fight them every 12 months to keep the price down. This time, we locked THEM  into a 2-year deal. So no ups for 24 months. 

That seems like a pretty good deal... I pay more than that for my landline / DSL/ Dish Network and we have a crappy DN package.. and the DSL is not great as you can see.. I do have the 8/1 speed package... mostly because it handles the load better for when all 5 of us are on our devices / computers..

4 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

That seems like a pretty good deal... I pay more than that for my landline / DSL/ Dish Network and we have a crappy DN package.. and the DSL is not great as you can see.. I do have the 8/1 speed package... mostly because it handles the load better for when all 5 of us are on our devices / computers..

I guess that would something to take into consideration if we were ever going to move somewhere else. What kind of tv/internet/phone is available. How much and how fast?
We also subscribe to Netflix, we have Amazon Prime and Acorn and Britbox subscriptions. We like the quality of British tv shows. They are far better than the stuff we get here on broadcast channels. Now, if you go to the cable channels, everything gets far better. ShowTime has some of the best stuff going. 

Kevin is spot on with that response. The one thing I would like to say to those that make their own version of Danish oil which is basically BLO, poly and mineral spirits. , is that you do not include additional driers that help the concoction dry quicker and more evenly in the wood. There are some driers in the BLO but all calculations are off compared to the original thing. Just in case people wonder why their mix does not dry evenly or quickly and you get clumps left in fret work edges. 

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN