Newbie to the Village

Modern Art Studios

Hello everyone.  I owned a display/graphics company. I started my career in 1969 and sold the shop in 2012. I sold nearly all my saws when I closed shop and the most regrettable sale was my 30" Excalibur. I want to buy a scroll saw and found out the original Excalibur is no longer. What commercial scroll saw will come as close to what I had? I would appreciate you suggestions. Thanks, Phil. 

Another Tennessee welcome. There are several newer brands of saws out there. The Pegas, the Seyco, and Jet to name a few. Most are patterned after the original Excalibur and made at same factory as those EXCEPT for the Excaliburs that are now being sold. I believe those are being made in China and I have seen a few people who purchased one of those and have had some issues. I have a Seyco and an older Excalibur and believe they are both of equal quality. If i didn’t have my Seyco already, I would look at the Pegas for sure. I have heard only good things on it and many people (myself included have added Pegas clamps to their other brand saws.) If you want to check out and learn more on the Pegas, I would encourage you to reach out to Denny who actively participates on this forum (he posted on this thread earlier) and is an authorized distributor for Pegas. You can find his site info, here: http://artcraftersdayton.com/Pegas_Monthly_Specials.html

I too own a couple of Excalibur saws and love them very much. I bought my first one from a friend here on The Village and spent another year lookng for a second one on Craigslist. I was really lucky and found one that only had about an hour  of work time on it. I hope you receive a lot of good answers about the best saw for you. I think if I were going to purchase a new saw I would go for the Pegas but at this point I think it is a little our of my price range. 

Welcome to our scrolling family and be sure to log on often and become familiar with all the regulars, They are all friendly and helpful when they can be

Dick

heppnerguy

That's sad news on your side and mine too that the saw of my dreams no longer exists. Man I want that saw in the worst way!!! Welcome friend, Any  saw will  do any job but some saws are creature comfort loaded.DW788 is the lowest price one with lots of goodies,tilt table,blower,light ,stand,0" throat so a20" x 40" project is very possible,I've done 2 of them. I would be very sad without a scroll saw especially the ex-30".God is good,I've 12 -dw788's for back up.I do not like down time.Hope your a regular here !!!! Welcome again!!!