Excalibur EX-19 from early 1990's - Pre-sale advice needed

MarylandScroller

Being your saw has no resale value and is still working fine I would difinitely find room and continue making sawdust with it. I have a Excallibur 30 that's 20 years old that will outlast me. Like you said, these saws are built like tanks. The saw you have will do everthing a new one will. 

16 hours ago, Ron Johnson said:

Being your saw has no resale value and is still working fine I would difinitely find room and continue making sawdust with it. I have a Excallibur 30 that's 20 years old that will outlast me. Like you said, these saws are built like tanks. The saw you have will do everthing a new one will. 

I agree Ron, it seems like if room is the problem, maybe a re-engineered stand is in order. Put the motor below the saw and design a smaller footprint stand. 

2 hours ago, octoolguy said:

I agree Ron, it seems like if room is the problem, maybe a re-engineered stand is in order. Put the motor below the saw and design a smaller footprint stand. 

Other than footprint, the biggest feature of the new saws which my saw lacks is that on current saws, the upper arm stays up on its own during blade changes.  This makes projects with lots of inside cuts easier.  It is also much easier to change speed, but I rarely change speeds on my Excalibur.

1 hour ago, MarylandScroller said:

Other than footprint, the biggest feature of the new saws which my saw lacks is that on current saws, the upper arm stays up on its own during blade changes.  This makes projects with lots of inside cuts easier.  It is also much easier to change speed, but I rarely change speeds on my Excalibur.

You know, until the arm lifts came along, most of us just used a block of wood to hold the arm up on our Dewalts. I wouldn't abandon the saw because of that. Just admit it, you want a new saw. Lol.

18 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

You know, until the arm lifts came along, most of us just used a block of wood to hold the arm up on our Dewalts. I wouldn't abandon the saw because of that. Just admit it, you want a new saw. Lol.

I used to have an arm lift on my DeWALT saw. But soon I discovered it was just in the way. When I move from hole to hole, I let gravity lower the arm rather than having to pull the arm down. Also, when changing a new blade, there is no need to raise the arm at all. I simply insert the blade into the next hole in the work piece and line it up with the hole in the table, lower the blade to mount in the upper clamp, then the lower clamp. Easy, no need to raise the arm at all!

I've gotta admit.. The arm going up buy itself is a thing I've grown used to on the Hawk..  Even though I used to have to hold it up out of the way on the DeWalt years ago.. LOL Can't imagine going back to a saw that the arm doesn't move on like the old Dremel I used to have, LOL Funny how we get used to using something.. Love the Hawk when a blade breaks.. The upper arm pops up out of the way and no chance of having it stab me like some of the older saws would do if you didn't get it shut down or move your hand fast enough.. LOL.. 

1 hour ago, octoolguy said:

Yes, I want a pretty, red, Pegas saw.  Is that wrong?  I could get the King or Seyco saws, which are almost the same saw, but they aren't as pretty (and the Pegas has better blade clamps).  I have heard negative things about the Chinese-made Excalibur saws, so they aren't an option either.  Come to think of it, maybe I should just keep my old Excalibur saw and invest in a can of red spray paint, if that is important to me 🙂

37 minutes ago, MarylandScroller said:

Yes, I want a pretty, red, Pegas saw.  Is that wrong?  I could get the King or Seyco saws, which are almost the same saw, but they aren't as pretty (and the Pegas has better blade clamps).  I have heard negative things about the Chinese-made Excalibur saws, so they aren't an option either.  Come to think of it, maybe I should just keep my old Excalibur saw and invest in a can of red spray paint, if that is important to me 🙂

No, once you get your heart set on something, nothing else will take it's place. But, take that old saw and stash it somewhere so that you will always have it to fall back on. You'll love that Pegas saw. I love both of my EX''s and will not part with them. If I had the room, I'd probably keep my Hawk but something has to go. I'm as short on space as you are. I'm still waiting to read/hear the FIRST negative comment on the new Pegas. Still nothing but happy customers.