Hello from Monroe County, PA...

nickp

G'evening...my name is Nick and I am not yet scrolling.  In fact, I just started the process of finding out about the various machines that are out there.  Typically, I favor "ole arn"...I'd rather have a really good old machine that a brand new one.  That is not to say new is bad...just my preference.  I asked about scrolling and related machine brands on another forum that I am active in and was recommended I come here...

Right now I am planning for a scrolling future.  Generally making things like tops for small boxes.  I am also in the process of moving into a new house and setting up my shop in the two-car garage.  I'll need to finish the shop but that shouldn't stop me from buying a machine now, even if it sits in the corner for a while.  Right now I'm favoring an RBI...but the other day I favored the Dewalt.  I've got a long way to go before I'm sure what to buy.  I hope to learn enough on this site to make that decision more wisely.

I've lurked a bit on this site and have already learned much and thought I would get more out of it if I joined.

Thanks in advance...Nick

BTW...what do you guys think of the RBI 220VS, about 15 yrs old...?

Edited by nickp

19 hours ago, amazingkevin said:

I,m a die hard DeWalt man.I,ve tryed and wore out the cheap stuff to learn on and really really appreciated getting a DeWalt for some of my practice piece intarsias. I now have a Dewalt managery of many!!!

Thank you, Kevin...I'm running into the same thinking.  I don't really want to go through several machines until I find the right one but maybe that's part of the process of learning.  Right now I'm staying away from the "inexpensive" ones and concentrating on used quality saws.  Looking for that "silver bullet" that gets me quality for less...😀

19 hours ago, Denny Knappen said:

Welcome to the forum from TN.  I own a DeWalt, EX21, and a new Pegas.  The Hawk is a very good machine.  There are many here in the Village who own Hawks.

Thanks, Denny...I've seen many listings for quality saws but unfortunately quite far from my area.  I suppose one of these days I'll be taking a road trip...🙂

12 hours ago, Rockytime said:

Welcome to the Village Nick. I also love old iron but only if it does what I want it to do. Lots of good machines out there. I've had Hawks and they are wonderful. I presently have two Hegners which I love.

Thanks, Les...I suppose I should clarify "ole arn"...I do have some older equipment (Darra James, Walker Turner, Delta, Rockwell) but for scroll saws I'm looking at earlier Dewalt Type 1's, Delta 690's and, of course, a great deal on EX's, Pegas and Hegner.  It's the driving distance I'll need to succumb to...🙂

6 hours ago, wombatie said:

Welcome to the Village Nick.  I have a DeWalt and a EX21.  The DeWalt is by far my favorite but there is good and bad ones, I was lucky I got a great one.  ;)

Marg  🇦🇺

Thank you, Marg..I did read about some of the excess/aggressive cutting on the Dewalts...not sure how prevalent that is but one of the saws I'm shopping for is earlier Type 1's.  If I'm patient enough, I'm sure one will come along.

For now I'm trying to shop for the ONE saw that will do everything...I suppose I may wind up with more than one (what did Kevin call it...?  A "managery...?)

Thank you all for the warm welcome...I'm anxious to finish my search for a saw so I can get started making all the early mistakes.  It's a tough time right now and I can appreciate that sellers would rather stay from too much contact so much of my "shopping" has been texts and phone calls.  I have time and am still learning through reading, videos and forums.  It's a new language and new part names so it'll take a while yet.

Thank you again...Nick

7 hours ago, daveww1 said:

welcome to the village, I have a Delta Q3 and will hopefully be replacing it in the near future. I wouldn't consider a new Delta but am considering a Pegas. If I buy one it will be from D&D Wood in Saylorsburg.

If you're talking about PA, I'm right up the road from Saylorsburg...past Neola and off of 715...

Thanks for the lead on D&D...

Welcome to the forum, Nick,
Finding the right saw is always a matter of personal preference.
About the only advice I can give while you are looking is MAKE SURE you like the clamping system.
That is what is keeping me from buying a new saw. I absolutely abhor the clamping systems on even
the highest price models on the market now.
I wish I could design a scrollsaw and get a major brand company to put it on the market and send me
the royalty checks for the design. Just a percentage of each unit sold would make me a happy camper
because I am positive I could make something that most scrollers would be happy with.

Alas, I got long winded and lost in a dream for a moment.

Good luck with your search and welcome to the forum.
I hope to see you up and running soon and showing us some nice projects.

God Bless! Spirithorse

Thank you Spirithorse...sound advice...

Certainly not long-winded for me...I'm a dreamer too.  Only problem is I started dreaming later than I should have.  I guess it's never too late though...

Thanks for the reply and the recommendation...shopping for these babies sure is tough.  Still looking for the perfect deal.

Welcome to the Village from East Tennessee - glad to have you here.  Look forward to your participation. I've been happy with an older Excalibur (made in Canada) and a new Seyco (that is now I think 3 years old as I got it for Mother's Day and my birthday that year - and those just came and went! - Time sure does fly! 😉 )

Welcome to the village! Like you, I am pretty new, only 6 months into it. I have learned a lot from this site. I was given a Crasftman 13 in saw from 1990. Like you, I prefer time tested iron. I did a lot of research and keyed in on a Dewalt type 1. They changed to type two at about 2001/2002. The difference is type 1 has a motor made in Canada and type 2 has one from Taiwan or China, (old age setting in). Anyways, I found two type ones. One in Dallas and one in Erie, PA. There were some people who thought I was making a mistake with an older machine, however; for me, it has been perfect. I love my desalt type 1. My point is to take your time and make the best decision for you. After shipping, I could have had a brand new Dewalt, but the older one had the stand and light (not much of a difference, but what I needed). Enjoy and please feel free to ask any questions you have. Had I not asked, I would not be were I am today in scrolling. 

On 5/19/2020 at 3:12 PM, meflick said:

Welcome to the Village from East Tennessee - glad to have you here.  Look forward to your participation. I've been happy with an older Excalibur (made in Canada) and a new Seyco (that is now I think 3 years old as I got it for Mother's Day and my birthday that year - and those just came and went! - Time sure does fly! 😉 )

Thanks, Melanie...when I started looking for a saw I couldn't help but think of the EX's...then more research and found out about the different phases (history) and the different colors.  There is a purple 30" for sale but a bit out of my budget and I don't know that I'll ever need 30" of saw.  Thanks for your reply...

1 hour ago, Fedido said:

Welcome to the village! Like you, I am pretty new, only 6 months into it. I have learned a lot from this site. I was given a Crasftman 13 in saw from 1990. Like you, I prefer time tested iron. I did a lot of research and keyed in on a Dewalt type 1. They changed to type two at about 2001/2002. The difference is type 1 has a motor made in Canada and type 2 has one from Taiwan or China, (old age setting in). Anyways, I found two type ones. One in Dallas and one in Erie, PA. There were some people who thought I was making a mistake with an older machine, however; for me, it has been perfect. I love my desalt type 1. My point is to take your time and make the best decision for you. After shipping, I could have had a brand new Dewalt, but the older one had the stand and light (not much of a difference, but what I needed). Enjoy and please feel free to ask any questions you have. Had I not asked, I would not be were I am today in scrolling. 

Thanks for the welcome...Yes, the type 2 is a Taiwan machine.  I don't think I would buy the newer 788 as I'm trying to keep my money in the US. 🙂

It seems all the good ole saws are worth waiting for...and I have plenty of time to wait for the right deal as you suggested.  I joined the Village so I could browse through the threads and finally pick a model to watch for.  There's a couple of RBI's I'd like to go look at and a more expensive Type 1, a couple of Hegners but they're smaller than I want.  It's been recommended to me to stay above the 20" mark.  Not sure that's valid yet as I will mostly be making box tops and some templates...

I'll be narrowing soon...

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome to The Village. I have 2 EX's and I love them. I have had a Ryobi, two DeWalts, and a Hawk. Scroll saws are like cars. One person loves Fords and another like their Dodge and then there is the Chevy person out there. Each one has a car that fits their fancy. Same with saws. I dreamed of owning a RBI Hawk and found one for one $65 at an estate sale. I snapped it up. I had a DeWalt at the time and I liked it pretty well. It turned out that i  was not impressed with the design of the Hawk and used it very little. I finally gave it to my daughter. Then a friend of mine ask me if I was interested in buying his Excalibur and I jumped on it with both feet. I fell in love with that saw and wanted to get my hands on another one, as they had stopped producing them for awhile and found them hard to find. One day I jumped on craigslist and found an almost non used Ex for $200. I had it home within the hour. So good luck on your choices. 

Dick

heppnerguy

• 2 months later...
On 5/13/2020 at 8:58 PM, nickp said:

G'evening...my name is Nick and I am not yet scrolling.  In fact, I just started the process of finding out about the various machines that are out there.  Typically, I favor "ole arn"...I'd rather have a really good old machine that a brand new one.  That is not to say new is bad...just my preference.  I asked about scrolling and related machine brands on another forum that I am active in and was recommended I come here...

Right now I am planning for a scrolling future.  Generally making things like tops for small boxes.  I am also in the process of moving into a new house and setting up my shop in the two-car garage.  I'll need to finish the shop but that shouldn't stop me from buying a machine now, even if it sits in the corner for a while.  Right now I'm favoring an RBI...but the other day I favored the Dewalt.  I've got a long way to go before I'm sure what to buy.  I hope to learn enough on this site to make that decision more wisely.

I've lurked a bit on this site and have already learned much and thought I would get more out of it if I joined.

Thanks in advance...Nick

BTW...what do you guys think of the RBI 220VS, about 15 yrs old...?

I just got a RBI 226VC,  for 225$, I was going to buy a HF but glad i didn't, darn nice saw.  I live down here in the Lehigh Valley not to far from you.   Carl

Welcome to SSV! Like you, I prefer old iron that has been tested and proven. I started scrolling last Oct when I was given a vintage 13 inch craftsman from about 1990. Three months later, I upgraded. I chose a Dewalt 788 type 1. It was a bit of a challenge to find one in my area, so I had to have it shipped. Ended up spending about as much as a new one, but as soon as I tried it, it was purring like a kitten. since then, I have lubed all the bearings. It runs like a dream. I am sure you already know, but type 1's were made in Canada where two 2's are from Asia. Every lot or batch has their own bad actors or friday machines (built on a friday when no one cares). I have seen more negative things about type 2's though. yes there is a good chance of getting a good one, but like all, it is a roll of the dice. In the end, it is what you want and I hope you get what you like. 

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome Nick,

Just a few words of advice:

"Cheap" usually winds up to be much more expensive in the long run and "Used" ususally means worn and has seen better days (parts that may not be available).

IMHO, there is no such thing as a cheap tool of any kind that is worh the money you pay for it.

Your wallet has to be your guide, but I firmly advise to purchase the BEST saw you can afford and buy new.  

I just jumped from a $350 18" Porter Cable that I bought in Lowes to a 21" Pegas that sells in the $800 range.  The Pegas is a top of the line saw and if you ask me, I will tell you it is definately worth the price.  That is an example of Cheap be more expensive in the long run...I did not do my do diligence and research, so shame on me.

That all being said, if you are not sure you really want to get heavily involved in scrolling, you should find the least expensive used saw you can find to try it out (pawn shops are a good place to look for an inexpensive machine). If you find scrolling is not your thing, then not much lost.  However, if you find you like it then go for a top of the line machine!   

Too bad you are not closer to me, I would let you have the PC for a very good price.  PA is just a little to far for a quick get together.  

Edited by FrankEV