Proud Owner - RBI Hawk 220 vs...

nickp

So I broke down and picked up an RBI 220...first scroll saw...seller has had it for 5 years, bought it from original owner and thinks it's about 12 years old or so. 

Now to disassemble, clean all the nooks n crannies, lube 'er up and let 'er rip...

Are there any distinguishing characteristics that would help to age it...?

Thanks in advance...

1 minute ago, nickp said:

So I broke down and picked up an RBI 220...first scroll saw...seller has had it for 5 years, bought it from original owner and thinks it's about 12 years old or so. 

Now to disassemble, clean all the nooks n crannies, lube 'er up and let 'er rip...

Are there any distinguishing characteristics that would help to age it...?

Thanks in advance...

Look up you serial number on Bushton's site. They have a pretty good listing of them in the manuals section. If you post a picture of your saw, we can determine what you should look for. The number one thing is the motor. If it has a Fasco motor, you may have problems with it down the road. The style of lower blade clamp is another thing. Also, check at the rear where the tensioning is done, look at the "V" notch in the upper arm. See if it has any undue wear. There should also be a nylon washer between the tensioning knob and the "V" wedge that goes into the notch of the upper arm. In the front of saw, it should have a tension lever and upper clamp piece. Make sure that is lubricated well. You can download a manual for it if you didn't get one. Best of luck with your new toy.

13 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

Look up you serial number on Bushton's site. They have a pretty good listing of them in the manuals section. If you post a picture of your saw, we can determine what you should look for. The number one thing is the motor. If it has a Fasco motor, you may have problems with it down the road. The style of lower blade clamp is another thing. Also, check at the rear where the tensioning is done, look at the "V" notch in the upper arm. See if it has any undue wear. There should also be a nylon washer between the tensioning knob and the "V" wedge that goes into the notch of the upper arm. In the front of saw, it should have a tension lever and upper clamp piece. Make sure that is lubricated well. You can download a manual for it if you didn't get one. Best of luck with your new toy.

Thank you for the well wishes...

Motor...Dayton DC Motor...8U186

V-notch...zero wear, yes nylon washer

Front tension lever...yes

Serial Number 30935...looked at Bushton site...Hawk 220VS ULTRA Serial:26350-?????  Not sure if that means it's an Ultra...sticker says Model 220 VS

Both arms, rear brackets are thick aluminum, table is aluminum...

Will add pics soonest...

this is from another forum i go on,the dayton motors were used from 94-96. the guy who gave that info was a former RBI employee.they are really good saws and parts are still available. they sometimes take awhile to get from bushton.best if you call and talk to someone. congrats on your first saw.bushton manufacturing now uses MET motors and controls.

doug

Edited by DME72

I've had mine for 24 years 226vs. Bought it brand new in 96. It's been a good saw and its had a lot of use. The notch is starting to show some wear. The only thing I have had to replace on it was the spring that holds the arm up. I would like to get a new Hawk but am a little leery of Bushton and their customer service right now.

8 hours ago, nickp said:

Thank you for the well wishes...

Motor...Dayton DC Motor...8U186

V-notch...zero wear, yes nylon washer

Front tension lever...yes

Serial Number 30935...looked at Bushton site...Hawk 220VS ULTRA Serial:26350-?????  Not sure if that means it's an Ultra...sticker says Model 220 VS

Both arms, rear brackets are thick aluminum, table is aluminum...

Will add pics soonest...

Congrats on the new to you Hawk..

If you have this round style lower blade holder then the saw would ( I believe ) be a 1994 -5 saw

a6473ab13ad7acaa0267d3_l__57779.1384051484.1280.1280.jpg

If you have this style clamp.. then you have a 1996 or newer Hawk Ultra .. It's my understanding the the Ultra was born in 1996 and they ran with them until the G4 saws came out in 2005 

a64739513ad7af8a0d8d1e_l__62973.1384051484.1280.1280.jpg

Edited by kmmcrafts

14 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

Congrats on the new to you Hawk..

If you have this round style lower blade holder then the saw would ( I believe ) be a 1994 -5 saw

a6473ab13ad7acaa0267d3_l__57779.1384051484.1280.1280.jpg

If you have this style clamp.. then you have a 1996 or newer Hawk Ultra .. It's my understanding the the Ultra was born in 1996 and they ran with them until the G4 saws came out in 2005 

a64739513ad7af8a0d8d1e_l__62973.1384051484.1280.1280.jpg

I have the square one so I guess it's an Ultra...thanks for this

8 hours ago, nickp said:

I have the square one so I guess it's an Ultra...thanks for this

In My opinion you got the best saw Hawk made, LOL... I have a 1993 220VS with the round clamps and the Fasco (SP) motor that they say can have issues.. It's a decent saw and I've not had any issues with it.. I also have a 1998 226 Ultra.. and it's a awesome saw..  I wanted a new style so in 2019 I bought a brand new BM-26.. I like that one better than the old 1993 but it's a tough call as to whether I like it better or not then my Ultra.. All are great saws.. 

Have fun with your new saw and hope to see you posting some project photos etc.. 

• 11 months later...

Kevin:  Just for your info, I have a 1995 226vs, serial number 3756.  It is an Ultra.  Has the T shaped lower clamp, and the black front lever tensioner.  It has a Leeson 1.3a, 90v DC motor.  Buston's manual says it should be a 2.1a motor, but it isn't.  The Pro series (at least some of them) look to have had the 1.3a DC motors.  If I'm properly informed, the Fasco motors were AC, right?

I also have a question, and I'm sure you know the answer.  When a Hawk is said to have the "hollow" upper arm, what exactly does that mean?  Were certain size machines the only ones with "hollow" arms?  I've seen photos of different Hawks, and there appears to have been several different upper arm designs.  Thanks for your wisdom.  Jim

17 minutes ago, Jim Erickson said:

Kevin:  Just for your info, I have a 1995 226vs, serial number 3756.  It is an Ultra.  Has the T shaped lower clamp, and the black front lever tensioner.  It has a Leeson 1.3a, 90v DC motor.  Buston's manual says it should be a 2.1a motor, but it isn't.  The Pro series (at least some of them) look to have had the 1.3a DC motors.  If I'm properly informed, the Fasco motors were AC, right?

I also have a question, and I'm sure you know the answer.  When a Hawk is said to have the "hollow" upper arm, what exactly does that mean?  Were certain size machines the only ones with "hollow" arms?  I've seen photos of different Hawks, and there appears to have been several different upper arm designs.  Thanks for your wisdom.  Jim

Hawk did do several different arm configurations.. They first did the hollowed out arms to lighten up the saw and hopefully not have vibration from doing this.. They found out it weaken the arms though.. This is a photo from google.. the arms are hollowed out in several locations throughout the length of the arm.. The new saws are hollowed out on both sides but not with holes going clear through the arm but more of a I beam shape ( second photo taken from Bushton's website shows the I beam style.  ).

ace6393d8d8e4fabbc24a22da2937707.jpg

a6473ab13ad6a1435873e0_l__11677.1384051488.1280.1280.jpg