Another Airplane

munzieb

I recently did this pattern (and I think yours is better) for a gentlemen who flew P-51's in both World War Two and Korea. I did put the tail codes and serial number of the one he was shot down in. It turns out that 60 years later, he found out he downed a ME-262. By far the funnest project I have cut to date. Now if I can only find an F-16 pattern that is deserving to be cut. That is my pride and joy. 

1 hour ago, Fedido said:

I recently did this pattern (and I think yours is better) for a gentlemen who flew P-51's in both World War Two and Korea. I did put the tail codes and serial number of the one he was shot down in. It turns out that 60 years later, he found out he downed a ME-262. By far the funnest project I have cut to date. Now if I can only find an F-16 pattern that is deserving to be cut. That is my pride and joy. 

That dude is awesome!!!  Allies learned REALLY quickly that they had nothing that could compete with the 262 in the air, but that the 262 had a VERY limited amount of air-time due to fuel consumption of the early jet engines.  So they'd get word the 262's were up, and go loiter around their airfields and pick them off when they were flying slow, flat, and level on approach to land, without the 262's speed advantage and no altitude/time/fuel to regain the difference.  As Patton said:  if you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Sorry...I tend to geek out with WW2 history.

Edited by RabidAlien

1 hour ago, RabidAlien said:

That dude is awesome!!!  Allies learned REALLY quickly that they had nothing that could compete with the 262 in the air, but that the 262 had a VERY limited amount of air-time due to fuel consumption of the early jet engines.  So they'd get word the 262's were up, and go loiter around their airfields and pick them off when they were flying slow, flat, and level on approach to land, without the 262's speed advantage and no altitude/time/fuel to regain the difference.  As Patton said:  if you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

First off, great job on your project! I'm also a WW2 aviation geek and picked up this print when I was stationed in Germany. The ME262 was definitely an amazing machine, but limited as you said by it's flight time and late entry into the war.

IMG_0062.jpg

8 minutes ago, DJ2772 said:

First off, great job on your project! I'm also a WW2 aviation geek and picked up this print when I was stationed in Germany. The ME262 was definitely an amazing machine, but limited as you said by it's flight time and late entry into the war.

IMG_0062.jpg

Love the print!  The 262 was actually operational in.....42 or 43, I believe, but Hitler was convinced it was a bomber or recon plane, not a fighter.  Had he used it as a fighter, Europe would look VERY different today (since air superiority was one of the things that tipped the scales in the Allies' favor).  This decision of Hitler's is one of the reasons I think he was one of our best assets during WW2.  :)  He piddled resources/capital/experts away on stupid miracle weapons, mis-used everything (see: 6th Army at Stalingrad), let his ego get in the way (see again:  Stalingrad) and ignored or shot his greatest assets (Rommel).  If it weren't for Hitler, we probably wouldn't have had to fight WW2.  If it weren't for Hitler, we probably wouldn't have won WW2.  LOL

On 6/30/2020 at 1:09 PM, RabidAlien said:

No worries as I do too. The one thing the allies we not aware of is the 262 would fly past the bombers fast, so they did a porpoise maneuver so that they could get another bomber in the formation, as Walter Schuack was doing that, my man put his P-51 in a dive and intercepted, let a burst out and the left wing started smoking. He followed the 262 to the clouds and lost it. Turns out, the left wing disintegrated.