Frames

Over the last 10 months I've been busy trying to learn about woodworking and discovered what I like best are scroll sawing projects.
I've learned a lot so far but have a very long way to go.  I think I'm trying too many different things rather than learning how to do one thing well first.
Need to stay off YouTube....
Just finished making a table saw picture framing jig/sled.  Of course now I need to learn how to make some frames, or maybe not. 
How many of you make your own frames??

With A D D  it's extremely difficult learning new things and have made more stupid ass mistakes than I will share.  Cutting accurate miters is just part of the equation.  I genuinely suck at measuring and will need to learn the proper way to come up with frame sizes without any mats. Some YouTube videos require an engineering degree. I need instructions a cave man can follow 🥴

Jimmy, in my experience the easiest and most accurate way to measure the length of the frame piece is to measure at the rabbet. The only calculation needed is to add 1/8" for "wiggle" room. 

For example; you're wanting to build an 11 x 14 frame, you would add an 1/8" to the length of each piece, so 2 pieces 11 1/8" and two pieces 14 1/8.

Using a 45* tool (speed square, for example) mark a line on one end of your stick of molding (or just cut a 45 off one end); at the rabbet measure 14 1/8", mark a 45* line, measure from the outside marks to determine the length, use this to set the stop so that both pieces are exactly the same length.  Rinse and repeat.

4 hours ago, Wichman said:

Jimmy, in my experience the easiest and most accurate way to measure the length of the frame piece is to measure at the rabbet. The only calculation needed is to add 1/8" for "wiggle" room. 

For example; you're wanting to build an 11 x 14 frame, you would add an 1/8" to the length of each piece, so 2 pieces 11 1/8" and two pieces 14 1/8.

Using a 45* tool (speed square, for example) mark a line on one end of your stick of molding (or just cut a 45 off one end); at the rabbet measure 14 1/8", mark a 45* line, measure from the outside marks to determine the length, use this to set the stop so that both pieces are exactly the same length.  Rinse and repeat.

Read it three times... Speed square, rabbet, rince & repeat got through...

I just make mine out of bb.  One big piece.  Make it about an inch and a half wide or so and cut out the inside and outside. Like a big flimsy square or rectangle or whatever.  Can easily make round frames like this as well.

tried piecing parts together and gluing and all that and it was just too much hassle.  This way i am still left with a black to use for another project. 

I then just paint it black and glue it to the backer. 

Yes, it's the outer dimension on a 1/4" Baltic birch panel with no mat and wanting a 1/4" space between the artwork and the frame interior.  I have a router table and cut rabbets before with some trial and error cutting them before frame is assembled.  Tired of spending hours making firewood 😖

I take my finished pieces to Hobby Lobby or Michael’s, (whichever is having a sale) and get the frames there. There is usually someone in the frames department to assist, I can also get them matted. The frames are usually buy one, get one 50% off. 

IMG_0455.thumb.jpeg.28018f383bd11f4c1c43dfdfb2320e62.jpeg

IMG_0271.thumb.jpeg.3422854c2c942afbc50c0271a2e14327.jpeg

Edited by Roberta Moreton

Sorry for the delay. I was under the weather and yesterday my son was in (scheduled) surgery for 4 hrs, a long day.

Here is a drawing of the molding with where to measure, using my method.

Are you following me so far?

framesample.thumb.png.d573d5289f986fa02690f3d4713edadb.png  

I think I will just stick to scrolling pieces that don't need a frame since it's obvious I'm not up to the task of making any.
Made a table saw 45 degree sled.  Cut one side with the left angle cut the mate with the other angle and the miter looks good (on the reverse side)
Made a frame and the miters weren't tight but since it was being painted the minor gaps were filled.
Worst part measuring across:   Top is 1/8" wider than the bottom.
Dealing with   OCD & ADD is a nightmare (Rush to do something and can't concentrate to get anything done)

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/11/2024 at 5:26 AM, jimmyG said:

...Just finished making a table saw picture framing jig/sled.  Of course now I need to learn how to make some frames...

Interesting, you made a framing jig/sled but don't know how to make a frame.  Simple flat rail frames are easy to make. Multi part frame rails, fancy sculptured rails, etc. are more difficult but not usually warented for Scroll Saw Art Panels.  This is what I do for all my Art panels.  

I use 3/4" Poplar or Premium Pine x 12" wide boards the I rip down to 1/34" wide "sticks" that I use to make my frames.  I also use a frame cutting sled that I made that eliminates the need for meassuring.  see:  

I rough cut the sticks to the Frame rail lengths adding about 2 inches.  I than use my table router with a 1/4" rabbeting bit to rabbet the frame rails before I cut the miters.  If you do not have a router table, the rabits can also be cut on the table saw with careful setup.  My art panels are 3/8" thick, so I rabbet the sticks (which are actually 5/8" thick) 1/4"x 1/2".  After the rabbets are done, I use the cutting jig to cut the miters.  I simply need to set the stop about 1/16" longer than the panel width or height dimension.

I use Titebond III wood glue with a little dusting of fine sawdust and a Seddy strap clamp to glue up the corner joints.  After. the glue joints dry, I reinforce the joint from the back with 'V' nails and then sand to eliminate any glue squeeze out.  I use 150/220/600 grit to get a very smooth finish.  That is the easy part.   

Finishing is another story.  Stains, Paints, Acrylics, and Lacquers are just some of the options.  The choice of what finish I use depends a lot on the art panel, with Black Paint or Lacquer being my most often 'go-to' finishes,  I'm still learning how to get a nice flawless finish which has never actually happened yet.   

Hope this helps.