Shutter Project

OzarkSawdust

I've been asked by a customer to make some decretive shutters for her kitchen remodel. She wants a lighthouse theme with other nautical and sea side items. 

I did this wall hanger, see photo, from a Steve Good pattern in Cherry ply with a Watco Natural dip.  

She also mentioned being interested in a ship's wheel wall clock.

Now for the hard part. The shutters need to be 26" H x 14-14 1/2" W.

I found an image on line that she really loves. I managed to get it into Inkscape, converted to a useable format, duplicated, flipped, saved. Then I went to Rapid Resizer and sized it, one side, and it printed on 6 pages plain paper for a trial. 

Has anyone cut something this size...on a 16" saw??? It doesn't look too hard as most of middle is empty and not much curved needing to turn the piece. I may see if I have a scrap piece of old plywood for a trial run.

Also , if it works, I'm thinking of two 1 x 8 glued to make a 15" actual width to cut from. What do you think...1 x or a 1/2" thick?

Never tried multi sheet patters or something this size before,  so I'm hoping for help from you guys and gals! 

Thanks!!

IMG_1648.jpg

Shutters - Vycky Sparks.jpg

21 minutes ago, NC Scroller said:

I have cut a 32" door topper on a 21" saw.  It was 3/4" cypress.  For some areas I cut as far as I could then put the blade in backwards and continued the rest of the cut pulling the wood vs pushing.  It takes a little practice.  Using spiral blades will also help. 

Good idea...I never thought of putting the blade in backwards. But I've never tried this before either...LOL.

Thanks!

Are these shutters interior or exterior?

Exterior shutters means dealing with weather, sun, and cupping if you use hard wood.  For exterior I would use marine grade plywood and paint.

The pattern you show for the shutter is nice, but for it to work that means cutting out the white.  I would use 3/8 for the fretwork, and 1/2 for the backer

Edited by JimErn

2 hours ago, JimErn said:

Are these shutters interior or exterior?

Exterior shutters means dealing with weather, sun, and cupping if you use hard wood.  For exterior I would use marine grade plywood and paint.

The pattern you show for the shutter is nice, but for it to work that means cutting out the white.  I would use 3/8 for the fretwork, and 1/2 for the backer

I'm pretty sure she's talking about decretive type shutters on the inside of the kitchen window...good point, I'll make sure.

If I'm right about being just a decoration she won't want a backer, just the fretwork. So I could go with 3/8 - 1/2 instead if the 1 x I first thought.

I made a full size mock up on a scrap of Luan I had laying around. Today I'll see if I can cut it on my King 16. NC Scroller said he put his blade in backwards and pulled an area when doing an oversized piece. I might have to try that. I might also try a jigsaw on it...it would be easier in the open, if I can do the wave at the bottom well.

Thanks for the ideas Jim! I'm wearing my Fat Ass Winery T-shirt today...wish we were in Fredericksburg!

If your looking for, or, trying to get the proper look for shutters, then you should be using 3/4" stock for the framework. Then any other parts, can be the same thickness, or about 1/8" less thicker than the framework. I did a job like this years ago, they aren't all that hard to make. Make the frame first, then do the rest to fit it. 

Len