MDF

Smitty54

I did not know there was a safety issue until I joined The Village. This is what I found about the kind Menards sells in the US. 

They have a link to a Material Safety Data Sheet. 

Unlikely in current form. The panels in actual form pose no particular risk. However, dusts created in the course of sawing or sanding can cause irritation effects to the respiratory tracts, eyes and skin as well as cause allergic reactions. Wood dust is also known to cause industrial asthma in certain patients. It has also been linked to sinus and nasal cancers. Avoid inhaling dusts. Select appropriate respiratory protection and personal protection equipment according to task and dust concentrations.

Section 3. Composition and information on ingredients
Name CAS
Wood None Urea-Formaldehyde N/A
Urea 57-13-6 Wax 8002-74-2
Note:
Component concentrations according to data supplied by manufacturer.
Concentration Formaldehyde 8-14%

so then I looked up formaldehyde.

Can formaldehyde cause cancer?

Exposure to formaldehyde has been shown to cause cancer in laboratory test animals. Exposure to relatively high amounts of formaldehyde in medical and occupational settings has been linked to some types of cancer in humans, but the effect of exposure to small amounts is less clear.

Studies in people

In one study, inhaling formaldehyde at levels at a concentration of 1.9 parts per million (ppm) for 40 minutes did not increase blood levels of formaldehyde.

Several epidemiology studies of people exposed to formaldehyde in the workplace have reported a link between formaldehyde exposure and cancer of the nasopharynx (the uppermost part of the throat), but this outcome has not been observed in other studies. These studies looked at workers in occupational setting that use or make formaldehyde and formaldehyde resins, as well as at people who work as embalmers.

I worked with hazardous chemicals for 40 years. Much, much, much, more dangerous than formaldehyde. When I fill better and start my next peace. I will wear a dust mask, and run my shop vac while I am cutting MDF.