Cutting sequence

Davevand

I want to cut a few ornaments from Steve Goode pattern and I was wondering what sequence to use to make them.

http://www.stevedgood.com/3dintorns.pdf

The ornaments are a compound cut with a letter in them.  I want to fill the letter with a glitter epoxy.  My question is should I cut the letter first and fill with epoxy then cut the ornament or should I cut the entire ornament and fill the letter then.

Thanks

I've never tried doing what you propose, but it is an intriguing idea.

I would probably start with cutting the letter and filling that void first.  Then cut the outside.  I think it will yield better results, but there certainly is no harm in testing both methods to see which one works best in actual practice.

I'll be interested to see results.

I think I would fill first.  It would be kind of hard to get the epoxy flush with the surface if filled after the cutting.  At least I think so, but I don't like sanding any more than necessary.  By the way, that's a nice pattern, and we will need pictures when it is finished.  That's the price you pay for our valuable free advice.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

I cut a couple of the ornaments finally, had to buy some proper blades and my top chuck head decided to quit working properly. Anyway I cut the letter out first and filled with epoxy.  This worked ok, but air bubbles get trapped in the letters, really need to use a pressure pot. The epoxy cut very easily and fairly clean (used a Pegas #6 super skip), after cutting the piece out I them sanded the epoxy to 2000 grit, finishing with tung oil. Wood is mahogany.

Ornaments-1 sm.jpg