Helder Botas Owl Eye

red river

There are some wonderful patterns in the pattern library. I am really keen to do the Owl Eye pattern, but I do not know if a spiral or flat blade would be best. I am interested to learn what other scrollers would use and why. Could some of ya'll chime in with some feedback? Thanks to Mr. Botas and all the scrollers who frequent this forum. Gig em Aggies.

A straight blade for me because the detailed fine points at the ends of some of those cutouts would get lost with a spiral blade.. The spiral blade is basically a round blade and it's difficult to make fine detail points with them.. But I do think a small spiral blade with this cutting would still be a beautiful piece either way.. But I tend to get picky on some of those fine detailed points.. Probably easier to cut with a spiral.. but better detailed with flat blade.. Just my opinion..

I'd bet if you use a #2/0 spiral, after the cut is complete and a backer affixed, you won;t be able to tell that the points are "round" when viewed from a typical viewing distance of a few feet.  You can only tell they are "round" under the magnifier light.   And. cutting time would be MUCH quicker. 

It will be very intersting if you do it both ways...Please return and post your findings. 

52 minutes ago, FrankEV said:

I'd bet if you use a #2/0 spiral, after the cut is complete and a backer affixed, you won;t be able to tell that the points are "round" when viewed from a typical viewing distance of a few feet.  You can only tell they are "round" under the magnifier light.   And. cutting time would be MUCH quicker. 

It will be very intersting if you do it both ways...Please return and post your findings. 

I agree somewhat, and yes as I put in my reply, I think it would look good either way, BUT.. the flat blade will make it have more crisp detail.. If you was to put both side by side I bet another scroll sawer might notice the detail where as an average person may not even notice.. 

I agree, I hope to see the results if it is cut both ways.. 

3 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

.. the flat blade will make it have more crisp detail.. If you was to put both side by side I bet another scroll sawer might notice the detail where as an average person may not even notice... 

That is assuming the scroller using the flat blade is very good at following the lines and making the inside points meet and the outside points are neatly accomplished.  In reviewing many of the photos of projects shown in this forum, I can state, without any reservation, that there are more "buggers" visable by the straight blade users than those who use spirals because the spirals "look like" they are intended to be that way.  When using straight blades and spinning the work piece at changes of direction, the point/corner is often messed up worse than any spiral blade would do.  I know because it happens to me quite often, even on simple cutouts.  In my opinion, spiral blades, for patterns like the one the OP mentioned and most wildlife portraits, are much more forgiving for tha apperance of the overall finished project.  FEATHERS AND FUR are not smooth.🤪