A Reason Not To Order

So I set down to order a couple new patterns today from Wildwood Designs. There is a reason I don't order very often. I can't afford it. The reason I can't afford it is when it comes to scrollsaw patterns, I'm like a kid in a candy store. I went to the website with intentions of ordering two patterns, the chandelier and one candelebra. I wound up ordering that, a second candelebra, three different plans sets of fancy bud vase holders and the bud vases to go with it, and two different packs of plans of butterflys. I wound up getting so close to a hundred dollar bill it's pitiful. OOOOOH! So many plans, so little time.

Designing your own patters is a great idea, except I can't draw a straight line without a ruler and have no artistic ability none what so ever. I was being sarcastic when I said a reason NOT to order. I do from time to time get sticker shock when I order. I learned though that I save money in the long run by having a pattern ready to work from. I used to get ideas here and there and design my own stuff in the shop. Too many times I wound up with scraps and an idea to start over with. Since I started working with plans, they are work there price in spades to me. I wish I could hug some of you designer's necks. Designer's give me the ability to look like I have some kind of talent. Without designers, I would be back to my birdhouses and porch swings. I shutter at the thought.

I don't know what kind of patterns you are looking for, but if you look in the scrollsaw wiki you will see some links to some free patterns groups. I can't make patterns either, but have used many of their free patterns. Also, Travis is starting a pattern making class you may be intrested in.

Fran

That's the great thing about this hobby, there are many different elements that make it enjoyable. I enjoy designing patterns, but I know not everybody does. My dad either has me design patterns for him or he buys them from Wooden Teddybear. He has no interest whatsoever in designing his own. Besides, patterns aren't terribly expensive anyway. Plus the tend to be pretty well put together, so you don't have to worry if it will or will not work. I belong to the Windfield Collection Pattern Club and naturally I buy every scroll saw magazine. Plus I buy lots of books. So I know how easily it can add up. I only cut a small portion of them, but I still enjoy them.

I look forward to seeing you finished pieces. If you feel adventurous, you should take some work-in-progress pix of your chandelier or candelabra and post them in the Works In Progress forum! I'd love to see them being put together.

I never really thought about it before, but Travis hit the nail on the head. I hate desiging anything to do with a pattern with a passion. Some people close to me are amazed at how patient I am while doing my cutting. I can mess up a piece, throw it in the woodpile, start over, and never bat an eye. When desiging anything though, like when I do the faces for my clocks, if one little thing goes wrong, I get so aggrevated I have to walk away and get a cup of coffee. Some things, like those clock faces, I want to do just to put my own personal touch on it.

That being said, the plans I've bought in the past have been worth their weight in gold. I've never bought a plan I wasn't happy with. The designers who create these things actually deserve more compensation than they get.