1/8-VS-1/4 Baltic Birch plywood

I have been using mostly 1/4" Baltic Birch plywood grade B/BB that I get from Sloan's Woodshop. Running short and getting ready to reorder. Was wondering if you prefer 1/8 over 1/4 for patterns? I have used some 1/8" redwood ply and got alot of chip-outs on top. same for 1/8 baltic birch???

Have only tried 1/4 so no help here. Are there any custom cabinet shops in your area? I just got a big batch of high quality ply given to me by a shop here. They ussaully have scraps that are to small for them to use but are great for us. Before you buy it might be wise to call around and ask, can't hurt.

Shutterbug, 1/8" BB is all I ever use for any type of portrait cutting, and have been more satisfied with them done that way, rather than use 1/4"BB. And as for the chipout I think that your possibly using the wrong type of blade or your using dull blades. I use the Flying Dutchman brand and don't have any problen with chipping, and if you use the reverse cut type you will have very little to no sanding on the back side of the cutting either.

Len

I prefer using 1/8" BB Ply for my portrait cuttings. I almost always stack cut them. It adds extra support for delicate areas. Plus you have extras to give away. ;)

With your redwood, try stack cutting 3 sheets and see if that helps. I always put painters tape on the face and sometimes the back, which also helps with tearout. In the end, it could be just the plywood, too. Some plywoods (especially luan or stuff found at the big box stores) aren't very good for scrollwork.