Greenhorn

Phestus

Hi Folks,

My name is Phestus and I am definitely new to scrolling. I am 74 years old, married, retired, and live in Colorado. I have been a woodturner for a number of years but have been looking for something new to do. Scrollsawing is it. I have a Dremel 1671 machine that I bought new approximately 18 years ago, and it has maybe 10 hours of cutting on it. So, it is like new. I look forward to reading all the posts, past and present, and I'm sure I will learn a lot from this forum. Thanks for allowing me to join.

Cheers,

Phestus

Welcome to the Village.

Don't throw away the lathe.

I used to turn a lot before I started scrolling. Still do some

I sometimes combine both in the one project. I have done quite a few of Diana Thompson's angels that have a halo. I don't cut circles very well so I drilled out a blank and then between centres made round and then cut them off. Kinda like doing a fat pen and chopping it up.

Also, I have cut a couple of bowls that have a round ring on the top so I turned it .

Have fun.

Don

PS: There are a couple of video series from Steve Good and Shelia Landry that are great for beginners or as a refresher.

http://www.stevedgood.com/school/sss.html

http://lumberjocks.com/scrollgirl/blog/series/4134

Hi Folks,

Thanks to all of you for the very nice welcome. Got a few things going on right now with preparation to have my house painted but as soon as that is finished I'll be in the shop sitting at the saw. In the meantime I am collecting patterns and reading as many posts as possible. I am really looking forward to being able to make something of the quality that I will want to post on this forum. I will never abandon my lathe. Just looking for a change of pace. Scroll sawing is it. Thanks again for the warm welcome.

Phestus

• 11 months later...