4/23 I'm getting a new saw...

Christina

My hubby has been helping our elderly neighbor, whose wife fell recently, breaking a hip. They are going to be putting in a wheel chair ramp for her.

Well my neighbor was showing my hubby around his shop...........he restores fishing reels and reties rods......makes a few lures.........my hubby noticed he had an old Delta Scroll Saw that looked as if it were brand new.

Our neighbor drove over today to complain about not being able to get through to us on the phone, lol.............I'm on the computer! I asked him about it.

He said he bought it from a fella that needed some money and it is brand new never had a blade in it...........he paid $20 for it and if I want it that's all he'll take for it.

WOOHOO. Bargain! Ben says it's smaller than mine.......mine's a 16" Rigid. Probably needs a bit of maintenance if it's been sitting there as long as I think it has but WOOHOO.

I get it payday. I don't know the model or anything but it can't be all that bad for the price. I probably will be asking questions if I can't figure it out on my own lol.

Christina

Thanks Travis and Blame. I haven't seen it yet but my husband says it looks like new and our neighbor isn't the kind of guy to stiff you for any price. So I'm pretty confident it will be a good one with a little maintenance. I'm sure it needs cleaned and oiled at the very least.

If it's as old as I suspect, I may have problems getting parts for it. But it still is a bargain for $20.............I spend more than that a month on Diet Dr Pepper lol.

Ben, my husband, makes a lot of noises about wanting to learn but he has the attention span of a 2 year old at times and if he doesn't get immediate satisfaction from something he will never stick with it at all. If he screws up even one project he'll never do it again. The only hobby he has ever stuck with is video games lolol. He has infinite patience with those............I can't stand them. We are total opposites in most things.

So most likely it'll be me and my tools............him and his PS2 and 3, XBox and whatever other game systems they come up with! Which is fine with me.........we don't work well together! :rofl::curse::razz:

LOL boy would I love to find that old corvette in the barn! Woohoo now that would be a dream!

Christina

Well I got my saw. It's about like I figured. It doesn't look like it's ever been used but since it's been in his shop so long it's pretty rusted. The table especially. But it still runs pretty good. It's a lot quiter than my other one.

It's a Delta 40-130 13" single speed and takes pinned end blades only. So it's not much good for fret work but it still has it's place lol. I really like the little feller.

I did find out I can get all the parts for it still. So that's a great surprise. Now if I can just find a manual.

All in all, for the price, I'm very pleased with it. But I'll still keep saving for a good one!

Christina

Well, at least it will be good for roughcutting. I think it would be nice to have a saw with an agressive tooth blade to rough some blanks out. Plus, you can't beat the price!

I did the rust removal and waxing of my tools a few weeks back. Wow, what a difference that made. A little TLC and some elbow grease, she'll be humming along like it was right off the showroom floor.

It's a Delta 40-130 13" single speed and takes pinned end blades only. So it's not much good for fret work but it still has it's place lol.

Congratulations! A new saw is alway a great thing. Check with Wildwood Designs. They have a conversion kit that I bet will work on that saw to use plain end blades. I used the kit on an old Craftsman and it works great. However, you may decide to do what I've done now. I have a Delta that I do fretwork on. Then I have the old Craftsman that takes only pinned end that I use strictly for rough cuts, or cutting larger pieces of wood down to smaller size for fretwork. Also, the old Craftsman (pinned only) is the one I use for cutting most of my motorcycle pieces. Whatever you decide to do, for the avid scroller, you can never have too many saws. I'm up to five now.

I got the saw but can't take pictures right now. It's a Delta 40-130 13" single speed and it takes pinned end blades. Not thrilled with that part. But it's a nice little saw anyway. I'm very pleased with it.

It's been sitting in my neighbors shop all this time without being used and as a result the table and a few other parts are really rusty...........but it started right up no problem.

I did a little checking and found that I can order all the parts for it so that's a great thing!

My laptop is down.........it needs a new fan and until I can get it fixed I can't take any pictures. This desktop I've got is slow as molasses and not compatible with much of anything but mostly my digital camera!

Christina