New Kid on the Blog

Veli Nkosi

Good evening everyone out there.

My name is Veli Nkosi from Kempton Park, Birchleigh. I am new in woodworking and recently bought a new scroll saw and it is still in a box. I am very much interested in learning to use it and would like to find out if are there any classes one can attend? I can't wait to open the box as I am scared and don't want to do any mistake and damage the machine I desperately need lessons.

Regards,

Veli

Hands on is the best way to learn.

Take some scrap wood and start cutting simple shape like letters, stars, circles ect.

.25 [1/4 ] wood is probably the best to start. Too thick or too thin both take more technique.

You can do it freehand, but better yet, make patterns. That way you'll have lines to follow, and get an idea of how much stress the blade can take.

Beginners are under the understandable impression that you must be very careful and delicate, or else you'll snap the blade.

This is true to a degree, but the blades can take alot more stress than you would imagine. Cut a square, for instance, which obviously has 90 degree turns.

Making these turns will give you confidence, and make you better aware of the limitations of the machine.

Don't worry much about breaking blades, by the way. This will happen eventually no matter what. There is no practical damage you can do to the machine itself.

Very little way you can hurt yourself either, so any damage will be to the blades and/or wood, which are both expendable.

Hi Rachel. Welcome to the Village. We're glad you found us. Lots of friendly folks here to talk shop with. The easiest way to learn is to just try it out. I'd just look around the Pattern Library and find something you like and jump in. You'll be surprised how easy it really is. Plus, your final product will really wow your friends and family.

Anyway, welcome aboard. I look forward to seeing your first project. :thumbs:

• 10 months later...