HELP FINDING DRIVE BELT

MrTeckEd

I have a wonderful antique pedal scroll saw that I have only been able to use a few times.  I NEED HELP FINDING A PROPER DRIVE BELT.  I have used the round leather sewing machine belts without much luck.  They stretch and are usually not long enough so they have to be spliced making them week.

I've found several belts long enough but they are to thick or wide to travel through the wheel track.  Please let me know if anyone has successfully found or created a belt for this unit.  I really miss using it!

scrollsaw.jpg

If you have a cloth tape measure ( the kind seamstress use ) measure around all the pulleys. Then measure the width of the groove in the pulley. Take these number to a local parts store and they can probably match something up for you. If you don't have a cloth tape, a piece of clothes line will work too. Just stretch it around the pulleys and mark where they meet. 

I was going to suggest one of those segmented belts that they sell to replace most any v-belt. They are pricey but last forever. And a day. All you need is a dimension. I know Harbor Freight sells them and also Woodcraft. Probably Rockler too. Do a search on Amazon. I'll bet you could use one in place of the round belt that you have used.

I have heard of people making a belt by wrapping twine around the pulleys till a nice belt is formed.  They say these can last for a long time.  I think they also wrap twine around the cords to keep them together.  I would keep any knots on the outside of the belt for a smoother turn.  It would at least let you get some time in on the saw.  

Looks like it would be a lot of fun and a good leg work out to use it.

Tom

Rick, I have a treadle saw I use for demonstrating that uses a round leather belt.  I happen to live near an Amish community and can get the belting locally, but they are available online (McMaster-Carr is one place I’ve seen).  Once you cut the belt to length you connect the two ends with a wire connector. Sometimes you have to use it for a bit, let it stretch, and then snip the end off and reconnect the wire.  Not as big a deal as it sounds.  They also have hollow core polyurethane belts with quick connectors, but I prefer to use the leather belts to stay as true to original as possible.  Here’s their link to give you an idea of options …

https://www.mcmaster.com/round-belts/

This is my ~130 yo beauty

84C88552-F77A-4697-BC10-B9CD0662A55F.jpeg