Stack cutting a portrait

Badgerboy

I am curious if anyone has ever stack cut a sizeable portrait.  I need to cut 3 portraits for family out of 1/4 ply.  The size is about 8x10.  It has a moderate amount of fine detail and I would like to optimize and at the very least stack two of the three to eliminate 3 individual cuttings.  I stack cut ornaments and other smaller items often but am wondering if the larger more complex design will really cut well in a stack.  I would love to hear some thoughts from those of you who may have wandered down this road.  Thanks.

Actually you will be doing yourself a great service by stack cutting anything you need 2 or more of!  Stack cutting portraits is one item that benefits as if you make a slight mistake or go off line slightly, the other cuttings will be the same and if and I say if, someone happens to see the mistake and questions you about it, just tell them that was the way the  pattern  was!  Any time you  have more than one to cut ,by all means stack cut!  In your case you can very easily cut all 3 at the same time. One caution, be sure your blade is at right angle to the table before cutting! 

Erv

Edited by redwine

I almost always stack cut portraits.. many of mine are 11 x 14 inch and I never used 1/4" for portraits.. since I don't make my own frames I find it hard to get anything in them more than 1/4" and I always use a backer so 1/8 + a backer is usually very close to 1/4.. and even then sometimes hard to find a frame unless I take the glass out, LOL. I typically stack 4 at a time but sometimes will do 5-6.. or sometimes only 3.. never wasted time on anything less than three.. 

Everything I cut is stack cut using 1/4-inch ply. I only stack cut 2 pieces. I've found stacking 3 poses a bit of a problem with the deviation of the blade when pressing through a cut. If you do stack cut three, you have to slow your cuts and let the blade "catch up" especially on sharper turns. The largest I've stack cut is 14X21 and I didn't have any problems, even on my 16-inch saw. I typically use spiral blades and tend to use a smaller blade than typical. (between 2/0 and 1) Like Clayton said, if you used 1/8 ply, you could probably get away with triple stack without any problems. Good luck.

On any project that I will use 2 or more copies I cut 3 I make my own frames so the size doesn't matter. My backers is usually  some scrap  ply found in the dumpster With the price of balletic birch I don't make many prostrates or pictures  The ;main thing is that  the blade is  square with the table

Bill