Today's production line, starting my early gifts for Christmas.

rafairchild2

So here I am taking four days off from work.  Last night after work, I decided to cut out a nativity scene.  This is a Steve Good design that I changed slightly from 3/4 to 1/2" thick, to have a base that allows an LED tea light to go behind it.  I cut the walnut one out last night (sanded the base already).  My wife liked it so much that she wanted one for the house and then suggested I make some for gifts to give out prior to Christmas (usually on Thanksgiving). 

So this morning I stack cut the two cherry pieces.  I also decided to cut out a couple of "scrap" wood-wheeled toys, each made out of two different species of wood.  Also on the saw will be a larger more intricate design by Sue May, this one I am cutting out of canary wood.

I will have to cut a few more of the nativities for gifts for some of the Spanish officers I work with at NATO. That's tomorrow... Then I have a 3D multi-piece Nativity set I am going to cut for my grandson.  Just looking for the right design that is not "tchotchke" as my Yiddish grandmother would say.

So much for taking time off huh? 🙂 

What all do you have on your production line for Christmas? 

today.jpg

Edited by rafairchild2

35 minutes ago, Mark SW said:

Just curious as to what blades you used.

My go-to is the Flying Dutchman Ultra Reverse (FD UR).  For most work, I use a #5.  However, on the nativity, I used a #7 since there was a boatload of long straight lines.  I did try a pegas, but just do not like how it finishes.  I am now cutting the tree nativity, and I am using a #3 FD UR since that has a lot of turns and small spaces.  When I get to the outside I'll use the #5.

Here's my progress so far on the tree nativity.  I have over 2 hours so far, including drilling my pierce holes.  I was starting to get frustrated as the blade came untensioned a couple of times at a critical point, I think I am just tired because I have been at the saw since 6:30 this morning with only a few breaks.  I sometimes forget to stop.

tree nativity1.jpg

Edited by rafairchild2