looking for info on repairing a very early build of the excalibur EX-24

DragonflyCS

I was very pleased to discover your website. Anything I read leads me to see a lot of knowledge and experience distilled into one site. Thank You

My Excalibur EX-24 is roughly 40 years old but has remained mostly idle for the last 28 years because of a motor vehicle accident. I live in Ontario Canada and have recently been trying to relearn as much as I can Re woodworking in general. About 3 weeks ago I decided to tackle a set of piggy banks for the grand kids. It started out fine and I managed the internal cut on 4 pieces until I heard a loud snap that sounded like a mouse trap only louder. No mouse was harmed but the Excalibur was jumping and shaking, not smooth as normal.

My initial examination makes me think the rocker bearing needs replacing. I managed to find a PDF copy of the manual but from that I can't see a way of disassembling the saw to allow the replacement. Also the bearing number doesn't seem to be an industry format.

I have attached a photo of the information sticker as well as 2 short clips of what I see so far.

Thanking you in advanced for any incite and or guidance you can offer.

IMG_3705.HEIC

Edited by DragonflyCS
I had wrong format

Welcome to the village.  Does you saw say where it was made.. I did a search on EX 24 scroll saw and got nothing.  I do know some of the older origional Excaliburs are almost impossible to find parts for.  Must be some outfit that specializes in bearings could cross reference it.  How about some pictures of you saw.  We do have some pretty sharpe saw mechanics on here.   

I just tried to watch your video clips and one of them is of a Briggs and Stratton engine. The other one is of nothing. And I tried to listen to you audio files but was not about to hear anything meaningful. But, from what you have said so far, it sounds like you broke a bolt that goes through one of the inner drive bearings or the crankshaft/bell crank itself. You should be able to remove the side cover on one side and see something on the inside. I'm not sure what the EX24 looks like but if is anything like a 21 that's how they are. I'll try to find a picture of one.

Ok, I found an owner's manual and downloaded it. Once you get it downloaded, take a good look at how the saw works. There many places that it could have broken but I'd start with the motor first. Does it still run? You should be able to see by these pics how it goes together and from that you will be able to take it apart. The problem you will run into is if it's more than a bearing or bolt, you may not be able to find parts for it. Try contacting Ray Seymour at Seyco.com and see if he can help you. He's the guru for Excalibur saws but not sure about the old ones.

Excalibur-24-Precision-Saw-Operating-and-Maintenance-Instructions_copy.pdf

Thanks for the manual. the biggest problem I see for repair is the main body is all one casting with a 2" X 2" hole at the back and about a 6" round area on the left hand side opposite the pulley shaft on the right. I don't know what happened with the clips they were taken with my phone and converted to MP4. I will retry that and some photos of the unit tomorrow. Thanks again

I tried to study the drawing and it looks like you have to disassemble everything in order to take it apart. A piece at a time. I'd like to be able to see it in person. Can you take some good pics of it from all sides? It may be as simple as the motor shaft coming loose from the driven piece it connects to. There are two allen screws that clamp the mechanism to the motor's shaft. There are 2 holes on the top that give you access to those two screws. The instructions say to install the motor you have to insert the shaft into the driven shaft and before locking those 2 screws down to insert and install the 4 bolts that hold the motor to the frame. Then tighten the 2 screws. Read all the instructions and they may give you some idea of how to dismantle the rest of it.

Start by removing the table so you can see everything from above. Then print off a copy of the parts breakdowns and have them close at hand. I don't think it will be too hard to figure it out. Another thing, if it still runs at all, try to isolate where the sound is coming from. Use a mechanics stethoscope if you have one or a wooden dowel held to the saw in different places and softly put up to your ear. The sound will transmit. A rubber hose or tube will work too. Do the arms still go up and down? How are you trying to add the video files. If you have them saved to your computer, it's just a matter of adding them right down at the bottom where it says "choose files". They will attach to your post.

I was able to see the video after I downloaded it.  The has got to be one for the first Excalibur put out.  A real antique.  Belongs in a museum!  I sure hope you can get it working properly.  no electronic to worry about on that puppy.  Tried to up load your video also,

did not work.

Edited by Scrappile

On 12/8/2023 at 7:55 PM, OCtoolguy said:

How are you trying to add the video files. If you have them saved to your computer, it's just a matter of adding them right down at the bottom where it says "choose files". They will attach to your post.

They were taken with an IPhone and the clips were converted to MP4 on my PC Windows 10 and then attached dragging to this window. The only thing that shows up is the progress bar and the sound. It should be straight forward but isn't working. I spent a lot of time this weekend looking for the original manual, I finally found it safely tucked away. The saw is circa March 1988. I also employed an endoscope and it looks like a reasonable disassembly. More accurate evaluation later. I will try and document the process as I go and will post accordingly. The big question that remains is finding parts.

I will also make a PDF of the manual in case someone else needs it.

Good luck on your endeavors.  It is a saw certainly worth saving if for no other reason,  than nostalgia.  If you get real involved in scrolling I feel you will want to up grade to a newer version.  But that one is a keeper, just for conversation if for no other reason.  Does it accept pinless blades?

As to parts, if there is nothing "broken" in the mainframe or other moving parts, and it's only worn bearings, you should have no problem finding parts. Now, if the bearing sleeves are badly worn, that could pose a problem. You will know once you get it apart and can inspect all the pieces and parts. Please do keep up updated as you move along and even still pics are better than none. Once I found out about downloading the video files, they played fine. Good luck on your journey, both with the saw and with scrolling in general. It's a great hobby and you found the right place to get knowledge.

Well I have been busy the last few days. I finally got the top arm out, I had to drill out the hardened socket head bolt that went through the bottom bearing as the nut threads were stripped. There is an access hole for a hex key but that took about 45 minuets to get out,that's hard steel.

The bearings (6202-z) seem fine and  are readily available under $5 each but the bushings on the other hand aren't available. Checked with local machine shops and they are too busy to take on a small job. Got hold of an online shop that quoted me $250 each (2 maybe 4 if lower ones are the same) that's $500 -$1000 +tax and shipping.

I reassembled the saw minus the upper arm and found no slop or excess vibration even on top speed. So hopefully at least the bottom end is OK.

The bushing stub that engages the barring is 8thou under size. Touched base with my local machine sales Co to see if they had any good used lathes in. They said a 2 year old King Mini Lath is coming in this week which I can have for $500. Looks like my only option, if indeed it is in good condition. I'm sure I will find a use for it after the saw is back up and cutting.

I'm sure you have already measured the bushings in question. There may be a factory bushing from somewhere that may fit it. Even if you found something that was close and could work it a bit. I always try to imagine what I would do if I was in a wagon train moving West and something broke, How would I fix it.