New to Scrolling

Liz Weir

I've been experimenting with blades. I got a pack of Pegas MGT7 blades because that's what Woodcraft had in stock. The reverse teeth sure like to grab the wood and pull it out from under my fingers and bounce it up & down. When the blade isn't making the wood jump around, it cuts very nice.

The blade I've used that I like best has to be 20+ years old. I got it together with my first Hawk, which is a 1996 226VS Ultra. It's an RBI brand fret blade, #9. I assume that a similar blade is still available.

I am using ash, about 1/4" to 1/3" thick. A small mill near me cut this when they were experimenting with their equipment; I got around 12 rough cut "slabs" cheap. I like the way the ash cuts a lot more than the plywoods I've used so far. I need to get a "carrier" slab to glue sections of these thin boards on so I can run them through the planer. 

3 hours ago, Bill WIlson said:

Experimentation is good and you are learning....that a #7 blade is far too big and aggressive for stock that thin.  😉

I agree the thinner the wood the smaller the blade and the finer the teeth.. The thicker the wood the bigger the blade and the fewer the teeth.. That is my rule.  Others may disagree.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I haven't been on much. Things have been a bit crazy with the weather, dealing with bills & belongings that were my mom's, animals, and hubby being down for 2 months with an ear infection. I haven't gotten much scrolling done, but my workshop is progressing. My new drill press is set up with a custom stand, I got a bandsaw a few days ago (and I should have gotten one years ago!!!!), and the dust collector is operational but is going to get a custom build with a Thien baffle and a better filter than that silly bag that came with it.

The bandsaw was a deal that almost literally fell in my lap - I decided I needed one and magically (🧙‍♀️) there was a listing on Marketplace for a new, still in the box, Delta 14" 1hp for half of what Home Depot & Amazon sell it for.

On 1/26/2024 at 11:20 AM, Liz Weir said:

Thanks! I've noticed many similarities. The fact that I have to angle the wood somewhat to get a straight cut is driving me crazy, though - when I'm sewing, a straight feed gives me a straight seam! I've tried several different blades and they all do the same. I also need to learn how much pressure to put on the wood to get it to feed properly; I have a tendency to push too hard and that distorts the blade.

Welcome to the group and the Hobby! Good start with your saw selection.  I also have a digital embroidery machine and other "toys"

Not all blades cut to the side, You have a great saw. I suggest getting blade assortments to try. The Olson blades I used for my detailed ornaments Olson 2/0 R 28 TPI (teeth per inch) cut off to my right dramatically, I learned to compensate by sitting off to the side a bit. I now mostly use Pegas blades.  With time and experience you will find your 'Comfort blades".