Service???

In another thread, I asked about a nylon set screw on my Excelsior saw.  There were a few comments but no real answers.  I emailed King, the manufacturer on Jan 4th.  I asked them "What does the nylon set screw do?  Sent a picture of the clamps with the set screw circled.  I received a response today!   "i asked my techs here and they dont know either.  we dont get many scroll saws for repair"  There are a couple of things in this response that bother me.  First; the length of time to respond.  Maybe I am unrealistic, but I would have expected a response, automated or not, within 1-2 business days.  Second; lack of capitals, punctuation and signature.  I replied back to them saying that it was an unfulfilling response and as the developer & manufacturer there should be someone who should know what that part is for.  I guess we will see what their response is.   Just in case anyone didn't see the original, here is a picture of the part I am trying to get information about.

20231116_160700~2.jpg

Could it be to restrict how far the tension handle will come down so it is easier to grab when you need to?  Does it screw far enough in to adjust the angle of the clamp to help adjust the cutting angle?  You could email Ray a seyco.com and ask.. I do not remember that screw from when I had an excalibur..  Does you saw manual have a parts diagram"?  If so is there a name for that screw.  Looks like the Seyco saw has the same screw so he should know.

It's a set screw to adjust the upper chuck position.. IF you look at it from the side and watch while moving your tension lever back and forth you'll see that the lever comes down and stops against that set screw.. Turning that set screw in will lower the blade chuck so that the thumb screw clamps the blade at a lower position.. 

I've never really used those type of clamps on my EX as I bought the pegas chucks.. but I believe you can adjust it as a blade stop so the blade goes into the saw at the same position every time by adjusting that screw and then inserting the blade all the way up against the top.. then do that every time and you blade is in the same position every time all the time.. unless of course that screw gets out of adjustment.. 

Edit to add

Actually I think I said that backwards.. If tuning that screw inwards actually might raise the position where the blade clamps onto the blade.. I'm just going off the picture you provided so I could be somewhat wrong on this but I'm quite certain that is what it's for..

Edited by kmmcrafts

10 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

That screw is used to set the height of the upper blade. The lower you screw the bolt down the less you allow the blade to bottom out in the clamp. If you allow it to stick up as you have then the blade can now travel upwards into the clamp more. 

That makes sense.  Thanks

Page 24 part diagram number 42.. in the part list it just says set screw.. I looked it up last night when I replied as that is how I knew what it was.. JT explained it better than I did but that is what I was trying to say. 

https://generaltoolsusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/EX-16_21_30_ENG_R2.pdf

21 hours ago, CharleyL said:

You might want to check this link. 

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/set-screws/?s=set+screws

If that can't be matched, please remove the screw and post a photo of it by itself. If you can identify the thread size that would help too.

Charley

Charley,

I am not looking to replace.  Just trying to figure out what it was for and how it is used.