What to look for before buying an Excalibur scroll saw

Hello members, looking at getting my first scroll saw tonight and wanted to know what key factors I should be checking to ensure a machine is good to go. I’ve been making furniture for about 8 years and have experience with all the usual woodworking machines and their setups but know nothing about scroll saws. The machine is an Excalibur of unknown model number currently, with an approximate cost of $100 (part of a package deal)The back of the saw resembles a backwards #7 (see image below)and the machine is purple. What do I need to check to make sure it’s in good running condition? Thank you for any help you can provide.  

Edited by Breckertime

It's very old and many parts are no longer available. Contact Ray at Seyco.com for more info. If the saw is in good running condition it's probably worth the $100 but if it stops or breaks you may be out of luck. Later model Ex's are much better as long as they don't say "made in China". 

The purple saw is one of the better ones they made.. I think they were discontinued somewhere around 2000 - 2005 ish. I really don't know a lot about them other than back in the day the talk on the forums was these are one of the better made Excalibur saws. 

I'd say if it works it's probably worth $100 but I'm not sure if parts are still available for this one or not.. I'm thinking not.. but some parts I also think are shared with the saw they still make today, like the front rocker arms etc..

What to look for? I would hold the lower arm still with one hand and then use the other to move the upper arm up / down etc to get a feel for how much slop is in the bearings.. There should be some a fair amount but not like 1/4 inch or so.. Take a blade with and a piece of scrap and try running the saw and listen for knocking / grinding sounds as if a bad bearing or something.. I wish I could remember the model number to these.. I think maybe EX-21E or EX-30E.. If you get the model number you probably could download a manual. I think these are not variable speed as i think it's speed change is done via a belt pulley system sort of like a drill press. Maybe check condition of the belt if it's not a big process to access it. I think they might take a rope type belt but not 100% sure on that. That might be the hard part to find should you ever need one. 

I'm with the others, put a blade in it, try to cut a small piece of wood.  If it's smooth, buy it.  Ray has given a "we don't carry parts" for the older saws, for many years now.  Usually the older Exs with tilting table were black, and purple came in with the new tilting arm, but this one must have been made close to that transition point.  For $100, I would take a chance.  I suspect the clamps are interchangeable with the more recent saws, and that is the part that is most likely to strip out on you.  If you're concerned, you can call Ray, but I don't think I would sweat it for that price.  Consider it disposable.

Edited by hotshot