Mini Gnome And Label Experiment

After I finally broke down and bought a shipping label printer, I had many of the old labels I used with my laser printer. I made some SVG files that would fit on the labels using one of Steve Good's gnome patterns to try using labels instead of spray adhesive. I took the patterns to the shop, and while looking for some wood to use for the experiment, I looked into the five-gallon bucket full of offcuts from my scroll saw. Here is where the second experiment idea came from. How many gnomes could I make using only the wood in this bucket? Answer: More gnomes than I have time for.

The wood in the bucket is 3/4 inch or thicker, too thick for the mini gnomes. I applied the patterns, cut them from the wood in the bucket, and resaw them using my Shopsmith bandsaw. Once I had a small bucket of parts, I began to assemble them. I stopped when I ran out of feet and did not have time to cut more.

The labels worked well, but I had to be much more careful about dusting off the wood to get them to stick as well as I liked. If the wood was smooth and clean, the labels stuck tight enough that mineral spirits helped get them off.

20240317-182555 002 Toymaker Shop Mini Gnomes.jpg

Those look great. And anytime you can use scraps is a plus. Good idea.

P.S. in looking at your picture, it looks like you have added some sort of sanding table to the top of your spindle sander. I have that same sander so I was wondering how well it works to collect the sanding dust. The onboard vac system doesn't do all that well for scavenging the dust. Please, expand on that. What size holes are they and how is it attached, if it is attached. Thanks.

Edited by OCtoolguy

I also use full sheet labels for most all my projects unless it's something larger than the standard size sheet of paper and i have to piece it together. I also use my 4 x 6 shipping label printer now and then to do a quick one off print of something small enough to fit on it, such as a single ornament that's personalized or whatever. However most of my personalized stuff now days I use the laser to create what they want.. since it's there and it can cut and do the personalized engraving anyway why not just do the whole thing on that. 

The Gnome's are pretty cool and looks like a good way to use up some scraps.. most my scraps I save for the summer camp fires so they at least get used and enjoyed by many. Gotta say though they are typically small bits as like you.. I use up most of what I can.. 

I tried the shipping labels and they did work well for me but what I found was a tremendous amount of waste. Unless I take the time to think ahead and try to maneuver some other smaller patterns along with what I am trying to print, I was throwing away a lot of the label. Maybe someone can enlighten me on how you do it. Thanks in advance.

5 hours ago, OCtoolguy said:

Those look great. And anytime you can use scraps is a plus. Good idea.

P.S. in looking at your picture, it looks like you have added some sort of sanding table to the top of your spindle sander. I have that same sander so I was wondering how well it works to collect the sanding dust. The onboard vac system doesn't do all that well for scavenging the dust. Please, expand on that. What size holes are they and how is it attached, if it is attached. Thanks.

The table top is a piece of  masonite hardboard with a notch in it to fit the smallest spindle. It gives me a flat smooth work surface with as small a gap as I need. It isn't fastend down in any way.

10 minutes ago, BadBob said:

The table top is a piece of  masonite hardboard with a notch in it to fit the smallest spindle. It gives me a flat smooth work surface with as small a gap as I need. It isn't fastend down in any way.

Your pic is very deceiving. It looks like about a 1 inch piece of mdf with a bazillion holes bored in it. I'd love to see a better pic. When/if you have time. Thanks.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, OCtoolguy said:

Your pic is very deceiving. It looks like about a 1 inch piece of mdf with a bazillion holes bored in it. I'd love to see a better pic. When/if you have time. Thanks.

Oh, that... It's a holder for small parts. I have several of these with holes of different sizes. Here are some examples of how I use them.

20161218154823ToymakersShopPartsHoldingJigPaintedAxelPegsMetallicBlueGreenPurpleRedGoldSilver.thumb.jpg.724aa467046125c0cdce27717f0b17c3.jpg20170414193704ToymakersShopHoleyBoardJigPaintedHotRodExhaustPipes.thumb.jpg.a6f7a9da823ee4efd1f1e64136e2cd49.jpg

20170420 213726 Toymakers Shop Wood Toy Axle Pegs Paint Jig Black Metallic Purple.jpg

20170719 221801 337 Toymakers Shop Car Bodies FInished with Amber Shellac On Drying Rack A.jpg

20171201 122332 402 Toymakers Shop Wood Wheels Paint Rack.jpg

20200618 123818 Toymakers Shop Habor Freight Spring Clamps Holding Axles While The Paint Dries.jpg

Edited by BadBob

Paul, I was just going to comment something to the same. Actually, I was going to say how nice it must be to have enough room for all that stuff. I make a jig for something and once I'm done with it, it goes back in the scrap barrel until I need to make another jig. 

19 minutes ago, BadBob said:

Oh, that... It's a holder for small parts. I have several of these with holes of different sizes. Here are some examples of how I use them.

20161218154823ToymakersShopPartsHoldingJigPaintedAxelPegsMetallicBlueGreenPurpleRedGoldSilver.thumb.jpg.724aa467046125c0cdce27717f0b17c3.jpg20170414193704ToymakersShopHoleyBoardJigPaintedHotRodExhaustPipes.thumb.jpg.a6f7a9da823ee4efd1f1e64136e2cd49.jpg

20170420 213726 Toymakers Shop Wood Toy Axle Pegs Paint Jig Black Metallic Purple.jpg

20170719 221801 337 Toymakers Shop Car Bodies FInished with Amber Shellac On Drying Rack A.jpg

20171201 122332 402 Toymakers Shop Wood Wheels Paint Rack.jpg

20200618 123818 Toymakers Shop Habor Freight Spring Clamps Holding Axles While The Paint Dries.jpg

How about the piece that you have on top of the sander? That's more what I'm interested in. Thanks for all those pics though. Very nice.

3 minutes ago, OCtoolguy said:

How about the piece that you have on top of the sander? That's more what I'm interested in. Thanks for all those pics though. Very nice.

Here is the best shot I have. If I sand some thin small, I snug it up to the spindle.

20180401 135554 Toymakers Shop Handmade Wooden Toys Bad Bobs Custom Motors Sedan Spindle Sander.jpg

I'm not organized at all. I lose things all the time. The boards go into the stack with everything else. I lost an airplane last year. All the parts were cut, and it was ready to assemble. I sold a made-to-order item and dropped everything to get that done, and life got in my way. When I remembered the airplane, I could not find it. It' is still out there some where with something sitting on top of it.

8 minutes ago, BadBob said:

Here is the best shot I have. If I sand some thin small, I snug it up to the spindle.

20180401 135554 Toymakers Shop Handmade Wooden Toys Bad Bobs Custom Motors Sedan Spindle Sander.jpg

Thanks. Exactly what I wanted to see. I see you just use a couple of clamps to hold it in place. Great idea. I'll have to buy a piece of hardboard.