Newbie here: What do you thin of this saw?

Cassie W.

What does everyone think of this used saw? It is listed for $65 on FB Market place near me. His Ad says "Delta variable speed 16” scroll works great extra blades included"... I have already asked if it takes both pinned and straight blades. How old it is and if there are any other issues I should know about. Waiting on his response. I looked at his profile and he seems like a decent person and also a craftsman with a decent looking shop. What do you guys think? Anything else I should ask him?

scroll saw.jpg

And over here after a little seaching,,, I say no.  Parts not available, and not a great saw to begin with.   Let us know your approximate location.  and those in that area can help better.  do not get in a big rush. A bette saw, better deal is out there.

Edited by Scrappile

That's a Delta 40-540 and if the top Quickset blade clamp is complete and works as it should, then it's a great machine, built like a tank, will just sit on a bench, purring away all day long and not move, I've even had it sat on a workmate portable bench doing demonstrations at craft fairs. I've been using its brother the 2 speed 40-560 type2 (which I bought brand new) since 1995 and it's still going strong. I also have 2 540's and another 560, (they are identical machines except for the electrics, 2 speed v's variable speed,) which I've picked up over the years. I agree, parts are like hens teeth, especially the top clamp, (that's why I'm always on the lookout for cheap machines as spares, but so far I never had to rob one). So I would say go have a look at it, try it out and if it cuts wood buy it, (I would snatch it up). 

Welcome to the Village! I don't know anything about that saw, but if the price is right, pick it up. If it runs well, maybe you get a great deal. If not, just know that the journey has begun. Good luck and happy scrolling.

I admit I know nothing about that particular saw but I would ask if the insert around the blade is still available. That is a rather large hole where parts (pieces) could drop through as well as possibly creating vibration in thinner pieces of wood without the support on the bottom. It may be possible that you can cut a new insert. Good luck.