Navigation Links

A buddy of mine also develops websites and he didn't really like the order I had my navigation links at the top of the screen. He says he puts the links in order of importance. So he would put the links in this order: Home, Forum, User Gallery, Pattern Library, Scroll Saw Goodies, Wiki, Store

What order would you put the links in? I want to make it as easy as possible to navigate this website, so let me hear your thoughts.

A buddy of mine also develops websites and he didn't really like the order I had my navigation links at the top of the screen. He says he puts the links in order of importance. So he would put the links in this order: Home, Forum, User Gallery, Pattern Library, Scroll Saw Goodies, Wiki, Store

What order would you put the links in? I want to make it as easy as possible to navigate this website, so let me hear your thoughts.

I agree with your friend about the order of importance. But you need to decide the order of importance. I think I would but it as follows

Home, Forum, Pattern Library, Scroll Saw Gooodies, Wiki, Gallery, Store

In my warped mind that would be the order of traffic importance. Home should be first because that is your jumping off point to every thing else. The Forum would be next because that is where you want folks to go to join the community. You get community traffic they find all the other fun stuff you have to offer. The pattern library next because you are going to draw alot of individuals here because of the library. Then Scroll Saw Goodies because of all the information that you provide through it. Wiki will be next because I don't think it is going to really draw alot of people to your site even though there is some great information there. Then last the Gallery. The reason for this, and I hate to say it, but alot of folks don't come to look at other folks projects, unless they are trying to get insperation for a project. Now the last thing would be for the Store. No my reasoning for that is not the same as your friends. My reason for it to be last, is because alot of people will look right to left at links and it does have some importance, to help you pay for the site.

Just my nickle worth of thoughts.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I switched around the link order. I had to keep User Gallery and Pattern Library together since they more-or-less the same link. When you click them, they both highlight and it would look a bit odd to seperate them. I could put Pattern Library first, though. The User Gallery link takes you to the root of the gallery system, whereas the Pattern Library takes you to a specific category within the gallery system. I might change that on Monday.