Poplar Ply

wombatie

Have any of you used Poplar ply and if so what did you think about it. I went to a ply company yesterday to see what they had in stock and the fellow showed my some 2mm poplar ply and it looked very nice and in fact I liked the color. BUT it was cheap, now normally I would like cheap but cheap ply always puts me off. It was a big sheet and it was $36AUS thats about $34.50US. I don't want to start cutting it and the ply layers start to fall off like what can happen with some cheap ply's. My husband says not to get short grain but he was not with me and the guy there was no help at all so now I'm hoping you could give me your expert opinions please.

Marg

I like the look of poplar, personally. Poplar ply is popular among puzzle makers because of the void-free core. I hear it cuts wonderfully. I've never tried it myself, but will someday. If it looks good, I'd give it a go. I know a lot of cabinet makers use it when making painted cabinets because it takes paint very well.

• 2 weeks later...

is the popular ply good for fret work? I normally use baltic birch, and have on occasion used oak (my dad had gotten some peices for free somewhere). I had a bad experience already when the grade they sold me wasn't what it turned out to be and it wound up splintering so badly I can only use that sheet for backings. I'm always looking for new wood to try and good prices of course :)

I can't help you with an answer yet, I haven't managed to pick any up. My husband was going to get it for me and put it in his works van but someone decided to try to take the whole side of the van off for him so it had to go in to get fixed and it won't be back until the middle of January. :curse: So hopefully by the end of January I should be able to answer your question. LOL

Marg :santa:

• 9 months later...