What Sells?

I've sold tons of religious stuff and probably more crosses than anything else.even ones I thought wouldn't sell.Thats the part that amazes me ! I don't make toys yet.Clocks were a good seller but the time to make one and only get 20-25 for it it's not worth the time.Other peoples portraits sell but you need a lot of them to please everybody.Portraits of deseased right now do good ,like mickael Jackson,whitney Houston.You got to be of top of these to get it while its hot .Keychains did good I sold over 500 but that was on a Meet and greet show and tell deal like at the stores you visit.Flea markets are to be good from what I've heard.any place where there is a walkaround crowd is good.schools have craft shows and are the lowest price of anywhere I've found.free or 10 bucks.churchs tend to be higher and organized craft shows are in the low hundreds for three day meets.Hope this helps!

What sells? Where you try matters a LOT. I sell at craft fairs, street fairs, flea markets and festivals in west Texas. This is in the "Bible Belt" so crosses sell well here although I make few. I find that toys sell well, simple toys. I sell more boxes than anything else. (About 330 a year) I inlay various images into the hinged lids of cedar boxes. I also sell some Intarsia and lettered plaques. Currently I am working on making compound cut flowers to sell. Western themes sell well here but if I lived near the coast I would try some nautical images and lighthouses. I make very little seasonal stuff. I have some cornucopias I made and have had them for two years now. When they do not sell in the fall I have to wait a year to try to sell them again. Trial and error will teach you what will sell in your area. I try to present a variety of items at each sale in a variety of prices. I display over 100 items at most shows. I built a display rack to display this many in a 10 feet by 10 feet space.

I sell a lot of crosses, car portraits, key holders, puzzles, clocks. To be honest spring shows are not worth it, I do better in the fall. I keep away from flea markets, because people want cheap items. I done two shows this year and really wasn't worth it, but I like the people to see what I have to offer. I know people that make a lot of outdoor items, and they seem to do very good with them like seasonal items.  Edward

I suppose it depends on how you want to sell them; word of mouth, craft fairs, online?

If you want to sell by word of mouth, I'd just make the stuff you enjoy making.  Give away a few to some friends or guys at work.  It won't take long before you're getting orders and you can start charging.  But if you're doing it casually, just make the stuff you want to make.  Otherwise, it becomes work and you won't enjoy it as much.

If you want to sell at craft fairs, I suggest going to a bunch to get a feel for what's popular in your area.  Each area has it's own vibe and what people want to buy.  Coastal towns like lighthouses.  Places like Montana might like wildlife.  Urban might appreciate portrait more, etc.  This way you can get a general idea of what people like and when you come across a project/pattern that might fit, I'd go with that.  But for some basic suggestions: Simple wooden toys, mini-clocks, puzzles, bowls/treenware, custom orders for portraits.

Online, you'll have to do some research too.  Etsy.com is by far the most popular.  It takes quite a bit of work to keep it going as you'll have to network, come up with new products regularly, and list new items often.  You'll have to focus on what sells that takes the least amount of time.  Natural toys are hugely popular (look up Waldorf toys), anything to do with pets/dogs, home decor, and seasonal stuff.

A great question - - - and I haven't a clue most of the time.  What is "in" or "out" for any particular show has always been something we ALL would like to know.  One week, crosses sell (so I make double and still have some in stock) - the next week western stuff goes (make more and still have it).  Sometimes big ticket items go first and other times low ticket stuff goes.  Any more, I just refill inventory and for new stuff, I make what I deem as really nice.  Retired without a "clock" schedule - I make what give me enjoyment and satisfaction.

• 3 weeks later...

For me it is religous items. Crosses, scences and portriats of Christ. Smaller items like letter openers, desk clocks and name plaques work well too. Towards the later part of the year, it is ornaments, especially personallized ones, and baby's first christmas. No matter how many I make, it is always fun. If you try a flea market or craft fair, make alittle sign that says custom orders accepted. That has always seemed to help also.

Update: I just had my first sale of the year at a simple small monthly street fair in a small rural town in west Texas. I sold twenty boxes, 5 toy guns, all the intarsias that I had..(four) and two large wall plaques.(36" x30")and an order for one more like them. Also sold four small sports team plaques and got orders for three more. I sold triple (in dollars) what I expected to sell and now I am working to replenish my supply of finished products. The higher priced items went first and the last to move were the $5 toys.