'NO' Bragging Rights - ugly cut

LarryEA

I attempted to stack cut two 3/4 inch hard woods, Maple and Birch.

I cut the inside first and that went well and I felt good.

The outside is one big long cut.

First mistake was not checking alignment.

Second one was not periodically removing the blade

and checking the bottom of the cut.

So to show everyone, old and newbeeeees

Grit my teeth and turn red, here it is

The UGLY Cut

The first picture is the top wood and what had the pattern attached.

The second picture is the reverse side of the top wood.

Imagine what the second stack looked like...NO DON'T

post-5492-0-73343500-1396746448_thumb.jpg

post-5492-0-13829500-1396746691_thumb.jpg

I tried it once ,thats when you see what the blade flex will do to you ,really tough waiting for the frt.to back flex to catch up and be straight at turns ,the center is always lagging ,then you really get to see how much ,side flex you are dealing with ,two different woods adds a new dimention as the grain will also add more problems to the mix ,You are able to see all the ,normally unseen effects of small thin blade trying to eat it's way thru thick dense stock .expensive lesson but if you really look at all the pieces you will get a real understanding of the forces and effects of scrolling ,and is helpful when cutting thinner stock and how important smooth easy even feed is without any extra side pressure ,Thats the smooth easy control I keep refering to .I would reccomend everybody cutting a scrap piece of 2x4 or 2x6 just to personally see how much normal unseen force they are using and the effect it has ,makes a believer out of you fast,then you can see what you are doing ,and go about correcting any force issue have ,tight turns ,even curves ,really show what's going on that you never saw before ! When you consider all that it was an excellent learning experience ! It cost you some expensive wood but I'll bet it will save you a lot in the future and improve your technic ,and the quality of you work ,far beyond what you may think right now !IMHO

Carl, I'm gla dI posted this. What you wrote is educational and I will 

remember most of that on my next (successful) stack of 3/4 wood.

I would think the softer wood on the bottom.

I look at this as a gain of experience. No loss on the wood of the two blades I broke.

That is something else I will change is blades more often.

I'll copy and keep what you wrote as a reference.  tks

The worst bow is in the middle of the blade ,both ways ,your steering point is the top (what you can see as you steer ) similar to the puntuation symbol at left

The eye corrects (lets pressure off the cut till the upper line of the blade looks straight but the bottom bow (under the surface is still there )and turns complicate further straightening ,Hard to explain but you can dam sure see it in the piece and the waste after the fact ,It' not impossible to do but VERY

chalenging to do with out really thinking while your cutting ,I have not mastered it ! Good luck ,look forward to your progress ,When I get the front to back OK ,I find the side bow ATE MY LUNCH!

That is excellent advice ,it gives you fresh eyes after boo-boos to consider things unthought of the day before ,sure beats reacting and leads to responding to the issue .the older I get ,the more I see the the value of a break and clearing my head .sure wish ,I had learned that yrs.earlier ,then I might be half as smart as I like to think I am .I think it's time for a break and think about that !!