Unicorns

thumb_002~15.JPGthumb_004~12.JPGthumb_007~8.JPG

For my latest cutting, I wanted to do the different color backgrounds for the unicorns like I did with the pegases. Note that the one with the red background has the unicorn facing the opposite direction. For the first time since I've been scrolling, while removing the pattern, part of my wood splintered and pealed off, leaving a not so pretty cutting. To keep from completly loosing that one, I cleaned the back up more carefully than normal and just flipped the cutting. I think it worked out ok. I held up the red and blue side by side, putting the opposing unicorns facing each other and I think it would look beautiful on opposite sides of a fireplace or something. My wife loves unicorns. I think I may do that for her in purple background, her favorite color.

Really nice job on those unicorns. I've had to flip cutting around as well in the past. In the past, I didn't do much prep to the back side of the wood before cutting. Had the same problem you did a couple of times and decided it's easier to sand the uncut wood on both sides, rather than waiting for the unexpected problem and having to sand the backside after it's cut.

I'm sure your wife will love those.

Barry

I have noticed something lately. In the past, to several people's horror, I have nonchalantely thrown pieces into a pile as fancy firewood and started over. Recently though, I've been able to save several pieces of fancy firewood as finished pieces with very little thought on the matter. It has me thinking though about a few pieces from the past that have long since been put through the wood heater that might could have been saved. I mistakingly required the pieces to be perfect as possible. It makes me think of something I read on the internet, I think by Ric Hutcheson, that none knows you messed up the original pattern unless they designed the pattern or you tell them you messed up. Another way of looking at it came from my brother a few weeks ago. I showed him a photo frame that I was debating using. I had a "slip" with the router. It looked fine from the front. The back had a gouge beside the slot for the portrait though. He told me he didn't see a "slip", but he did see where the wood had "character".