$3.20 Framing Job

Travis

I just stopped by Walmart to pick up some frames. I usually buy their 8x10" frames for $3 each. They don't fit the 1/4" ply very well, but with a little duct tape coaxing it ends up working for me. I also buy their felt to use as backing. That runs about 20 cents a piece. So for about $3.20, I can present my cuttings pretty well. It got me wondering, what do y'all use to frame your work? Or do you frame at all?

My local walmart has frames to just under $2.00 I think it is. I by a number of them at a time. The 1/4" birch fits in them real nice even with the felt on them. they do not come with glass or anything. The only extra thing I have to buy is the hangers and I get them at Big lots for like a $1.50 for a pack of 10. The only thing I dislike about the frames is that they are not a true 8 x 10, but that is not a huge problem I just cut to size. The frames come in three colors Black, White and a light color wood. I usually do the black frame. So my cost is not a whole lot at all.

Chris

My dad just made some frames for some of his projects. He used chair rail molding. This is great stuff because one edge is rabbited to allow an overlap for wainscoting. Put the rabbit on the inside of the frame and its perfect for holding the glass and matte in place! He just used a miter saw to cut the 45's. I think he used some water putty to fill in the gaps and then painted it black. They looked pretty good!

• 1 month later...

Boy there's lots of great tips here everyone............thanks so much! I like the idea of using the trim.........sounds really easy and adaptable for any size and there is such a huge selection to choose from so you can get pretty creative with it still.

Steviegwood, on my group, did an article in SSW&C about his frames.............he randomly carves his with a dremel, I believe, and then uses a torch to burn his a little.............really dramatic and wonderful frames! I want to try those! Not only do they look wonderful but it has to be soooo much fun to make them too!

I bought some black poster board to use as a backer.........I'm planning my first portrait.......providing my back and hips allow me to sit at the saw :shock::cry:

I've been planning it since Christmas but it's my mom's birthday on April 3rd so I'm kinda hoping to get it done by then. I made the pattern ages ago. It's of her and her dog "Little Man". I planned to make a photo album for her carving photos but that may be a little ambitious for a first lol. So I may just make it as a regular portrait for now. The dog is a Snauzer(SP) mix and so there are some pretty fragile areas in the fur. Soon as I get it done I'll share a picture before sending it to her.

Thanks again for sharing all the great tips...........I've copied them all to save for future reference!!!

Christina

That sounds like a great project! I can't wait to see it done. You're mom will really like that. Nothing better than handmade gifts.

I've seen some of steve's frames. They look really sharp. I bet it would work really well with a rustic theme like old west or wildlife.

• 1 month later...

Well, leave it to me to be different :oops: I do mainly portraits and usually cut them in 1/8" BB ply and mount them in a frame. Then, I decided to try a frameless portrait in 1/2" solid oak with a 1/8" BB ply backer painted black. I then rounded the edges of the oak and stained it. Then, nailed and glued on the painted backer with 3/16" narrow crown staples which works very well. After showing this to people, I have never had a request for the framed version. Another odd thing is that most of the people I talk to DO NOT like hanging pictures on the wall (especially in new homes) Go figure...must be a new fad. Oh well, for them I make a simple oak "stand alone" base with a 5/8" dado groove and they like it very well. :thumbs:

Ron T.