Why Should I Buy An Excalibur 21?

smitty0312

I am thinking maybe of splurging on an "EX".......EX owners.....why should I?? I do a ton of cutting week in and week out.....will it outlast a Dewalt?? I am pleased the way my DW cuts....blade clamps could be better made.....but other than that I am very pleased with it......Convince me to change...... Thanks for all the help.

Edited by smitty0312

Because they are the best............ no vibs,tilt the saw not the table, quick blade replacement, easy adjustment all round.great construction, what's not to like I would buy another tomorrow if I ever had issues. Well worth ever penny. Dan. Roly

Edited by Phantom Scroller

I am a proud owner of an EX-30. (Some of my work is quite large which is why I chose the 30). I started with an entry level saw, and quickly realised that I needed something more substantial and suited for heavier use. If you are in the same situation, I would advise that you research well, and consider you're budget. Dewalt, Hegner etc also offer some very good, high-end saws - but when you're spending that kind of money...take you're time. Find what's best for you, then don't look back. For my work, it was the most logical decision I could've made and I'm delighted.

If you require any more information, just give me a shout.

Kindest Regards,

Nick.

Because they are the best............ no vibs,tilt the saw not the table, quick blade replacement, easy adjustment all round.great construction, what's not to like I would buy another tomorrow if I ever had issues. Well worth ever penny. Dan. Roly

Wise words Roly.

Just caught up with something at the moment, but I'll be in touch about the cages soon buddy.

Kindest Regards,

Nick.

Dan

I started with a DW788 and when it was in the shop I went into immediate depression and got an EX21 for recovery purposes.  The DW788 is home but I prefer the EX21 and just have the DW788 as backup.  The blade clamps are essentially the same on both and the thumb screws are interchangeable.  I like the EX21 tension adjustment better than the DW788 but both are fine.  Both are variable speed and on both you take off and throw away or put away the hold down and below table blade guard.  If you go for the EX21 I recommend that being in the states you get it from Ray at Seyco.  I did not but I understand he does final adjusting before it leaves his shop and can and willingly will discuss and diagnosis any problems long distance.  I did not get mine from Ray but have just heard he provides remarkable service.  Also, if you need to talk to someone at General International about warranty or parts, they are easy to talk to and communicate with - if you do the EX21 and want General International contact information let me know and I will give it to you.

I actually am on my second EX21 as I did have some problems during warranty period which were fixed free for me and when the problem recurred General International just replaced the machine.  I bought mine from a local hardwood store I frequent (Midwest Woodworkers) in Omaha as I wanted to support a local store I had confidence in.  They gave me the name of a local shop they used for equipment repairs and since General International had no local authorized repair shops they agreed to let me use the local shop and all of the coordination was just great.  If you do not buy from Seyco, I suggest you ask whatever vendor you are buying from where you can obtain local authorized warranty repair and then confirm it with General International - packing up and sending a scroll saw in is not something I want to do and there are of lot of places that have never worked on a scroll saw.  On my DeWalt when it needed repairs I took it to a local DeWalt authorized service center and it took them over a month before they could finally tell me they knew absolutely nothing about repairing scroll saws and they had to ship it to Kansas City for repairs.  That is when I decided I would never be without a backup and My DeWalt serves that purpose well.

I actually think both machines are good machines but I do give a good edge to the EX21 which is what I would want if I could have only one of the two machines.  Having said that, my second EX21 is the black (first was green) machine with the dust collection attached to the table.  I think their attempt at dust collection is a joke and I would remove it but you should probably try it first to see if you agree.  I prefer my Rube Goldberg dust collection.  I did not have to remove mine as I had a machinest friend do a new table top for my old EX21 so when I got the new one I just took off the table top and put my custom made table top on it.  If you can get someone to do it, I think you would love a larger table top - mine is two inches wider on each side and 4 inches longer in front.  I even preferred the old table top to the DeWalt tear drop table top.  I am attaching a picture of the table top I had made for my EX21 with the old one sitting on top for comparison.

As a dreamer I always have considered what my next scroll saw would be if I wanted to upgrade and were willing to spend twice as much money for a scroll saw.  My final dreams turned into a Hegner vs a Hawk and if I were to make that type of change from everything I have read I am almost certain I would go with the Hawk by Bushton Manufacturing in Kansas.  Until one of those dreams turns into a wet dream, I do not anticipate any changes in scroll saws.  If it matters, there is both a General and a General International and General International means the building of the equipment is outsourced to Asia - both are Canadian companies.  DeWalt is also outsourced.  Hegner is German and Hawk is good old USA built in middle America.   I actually at one time wanted an Eclipse and actually tried to order one but that is another story and they are not being made now.

Probably more information than you needed or wanted but I was not sure where you are in your process and how much information you already had.

post-8034-0-06019100-1408994853_thumb.jpg

Edited by Doug

Dan

I started with a DW788 and when it was in the shop I went into immediate depression and got an EX21 for recovery purposes.  The DW788 is home but I prefer the EX21 and just have the DW788 as backup.  The blade clamps are essentially the same on both and the thumb screws are interchangeable.  I like the EX21 tension adjustment better than the DW788 but both are fine.  Both are variable speed and on both you take off and throw away or put away the hold down and below table blade guard.  If you go for the EX21 I recommend that being in the states you get it from Ray at Seyco.  I did not but I understand he does final adjusting before it leaves his shop and can and willingly will discuss and diagnosis any problems long distance.  I did not get mine from Ray but have just heard he provides remarkable service.  Also, if you need to talk to someone at General International about warranty or parts, they are easy to talk to and communicate with - if you do the EX21 and want General International contact information let me know and I will give it to you.

I actually am on my second EX21 as I did have some problems during warranty period which were fixed free for me and when the problem recurred General International just replaced the machine.  I bought mine from a local hardwood store I frequent (Midwest Woodworkers) in Omaha as I wanted to support a local store I had confidence in.  They gave me the name of a local shop they used for equipment repairs and since General International had no local authorized repair shops they agreed to let me use the local shop and all of the coordination was just great.  If you do not buy from Seyco, I suggest you ask whatever vendor you are buying from where you can obtain local authorized warranty repair and then confirm it with General International - packing up and sending a scroll saw in is not something I want to do and there are of lot of places that have never worked on a scroll saw.  On my DeWalt when it needed repairs I took it to a local DeWalt authorized service center and it took them over a month before they could finally tell me they knew absolutely nothing about repairing scroll saws and they had to ship it to Kansas City for repairs.  That is when I decided I would never be without a backup and My DeWalt serves that purpose well.

I actually think both machines are good machines but I do give a good edge to the EX21 which is what I would want if I could have only one of the two machines.  Having said that, my second EX21 is the black (first was green) machine with the dust collection attached to the table.  I think their attempt at dust collection is a joke and I would remove it but you should probably try it first to see if you agree.  I prefer my Rube Goldberg dust collection.  I did not have to remove mine as I had a machinest friend do a new table top for my old EX21 so when I got the new one I just took off the table top and put my custom made table top on it.  If you can get someone to do it, I think you would love a larger table top - mine is two inches wider on each side and 4 inches longer in front.  I even preferred the old table top to the DeWalt tear drop table top.  I am attaching a picture of the table top I had made for my EX21 with the old one sitting on top for comparison.

As a dreamer I always have considered what my next scroll saw would be if I wanted to upgrade and were willing to spend twice as much money for a scroll saw.  My final dreams turned into a Hegner vs a Hawk and if I were to make that type of change from everything I have read I am almost certain I would go with the Hawk by Bushton Manufacturing in Kansas.  Until one of those dreams turns into a wet dream, I do not anticipate any changes in scroll saws.  If it matters, there is both a General and a General International and General International means the building of the equipment is outsourced to Asia - both are Canadian companies.  DeWalt is also outsourced.  Hegner is German and Hawk is good old USA built in middle America.   I actually at one time wanted an Eclipse and actually tried to order one but that is another story and they are not being made now.

Probably more information than you needed or wanted but I was not sure where you are in your process and how much information you already had.

attachicon.gifEX21 old table on new.jpg

That's alot of information.....which I was looking for.....Thanks!!!

I started scrolling with a Dremel 16" 2 speed, but after about a year knew I needed something better. What sold me on the EX-21, even though it was $250 more than the DW788 was the fact that the saw tilted instead of the table, and the fact that the arm held itself up when changing blades or feeding the blade through the work. That and it's reputation with many scrollers I talked to. 

I heartily agree with the recommendation of buying from Seyco if buying in the US. I wish I had, but even so, they have helped me out a couple of times when I had questions about adjustments.

And yeah, the dust collection on my anniversary edition was worth a chuckle, but that's about it.

Because you want to .! personally ,I have no need for the few extra features ,that I would rarely use ,You have the extra money ,than it's not a problem ,plus the ability to say you have one ! all machines require a little upkeep ,can't say any thing bad about them ,never found anything that I actually do that the trusty 788 can not do . Some folks do ,and are happy some not so .Jump in and get what you think you want  ! It's a hobby for most ,a business for a few ,looking at most projects shown ,very few require 30" ,most would think long and hard doing a project with that many holes ,few would be tilting enough to justify .But hey! It's a hobby ,they don't have to make sense to any one but you! But you can buy a hell of a lot of acessories and blades for the difference in price ..What ever you do enjoy !!

Kevin the tension is on a lifter on the front and the back knob can fine tune it and when it's set very rarely gets used. Roly

My blade tension is at the back only Roly, which is a total pain when you are as short as I am.

I have a DeWalt and an EX21 and if someone said here is the money you can have a second one of either of these 2 saw I would pick a DeWalt without having to think twice.

Marg

God bless you Marge , I am completely happy with the dw788 ,i had three gave the worn out one away and he still uses it.I told him to come over as i was throwing something away today that he might want.I purposely put a cover over it and when he came my new one was where the old one was so he had no idea what was under the cover.I almost had to catch his eyeballs as they poped out and the grin was bigger than a possums.Ah ,it's great to give something that somebody wants or needs and can't afford it,lol :heart: big heart! :heart:

My blade tension is at the back only Roly, which is a total pain when you are as short as I am.

I have a DeWalt and an EX21 and if someone said here is the money you can have a second one of either of these 2 saw I would pick a DeWalt without having to think twice.

Marg

Marg your obviously not doing it right then the rear tension should be set once and the blade should tighten the same every time at the front lever you should only need to change that should the length of the blade change. Still an EX-21 FOR ME . haa haa :razz:  :lol: naa naa - naa naa naa.

Dan, I just did, what you are comtemplating, a couple weeks ago.  I've have had DeWalt for several year,  I hadn't really used it a lot until recently, when for some reason the scrolling bug bit me.  I have never been unhappy with the DeWalt.  It did what I asked of it.  The more I did in scrolling and the more I read about scroll saws, the more nervous I became with the DeWalt.  Mine is a type 2 and I kept reading horrior stories about the type 2 saws.  I have never had a problem with mine, but my imagenation started acting up and I thought I heard weird noses starting up.  I read posts that the Excalibur was so much better, and it does get great reviews, but what really worried me was, what if I had problems with the DeWalt.  I know from experience their customer service is not the best.  I have read wonderful things about the Seyco service.  You know about men and new toys.....  so I easily talked myself into thinking I needed to "upgrade" to an Excalibur.  I did.  I'm not sorry I did.  Was it necessary, probably not!  The main thing I like better about the Ex, is the tensioning.  It is easier to change blades or move from one cut to the next.  The Ex. appears to be quieter than the DeWalt was, and have less vibration.  The dust blower seem to me to be about the same, maybe the DeWalt was a little better.  The dust collection on the Ex., to me is pretty much useless, fact, I removed it from mine.  I am able to feed the blade from the top on the Ex., could never get the hang of that on the DeWalt.  I do miss the extra table space top the DeWalt had in front of the blade, but I am getting use to the Ex., so that issue is going away.  As for the tilting head, verses the tilting table, as of yet I have ever cut anything other than 90', but to my knowledge, none of the real high end saws have a tilting head, so I doubt it is a big deal, but a lot of people swear by it.  In my opinion, is the Ex. worth several hundred more than the DeWalt, hummm, so far, not really in my opinion.  Keep in mind, compared to others I am a novice at scrolling, so take my opinion for what it may be worth.  But you know, sometimes a man just needs a new tool and that is worth something! ;)

I guess thats why there are so many ,different churchs ,and only one GOD ,even the unbelievers have a church ,but when the major crisis hits all look up ! folks are fickle ,rich man poor man beggerman , thief ,all have there opinion and own ,reasons & logic ,as it is and should be ,free will ,at least here, for now ,Enjoy ! No one seems to care what Brand of tool I used to make a gift or craft they only hear scroll saw ,most don't even know what that is .So I guess it's only important to the user and his capibilities and precieved needs ,much like your choice of churches . Just be careful what you wish for you might actually get it !  Then you'll be like the dog that caught the car ,then didn't know what to do with it !Enjoy -Have fun -and BUY what ever floats you boat! High dollar machines can make just as much scrap as cheaper machines ,some times faster ,but it's better scrap! Scroll on!!

Marg your obviously not doing it right then the rear tension should be set once and the blade should tighten the same every time at the front lever you should only need to change that should the length of the blade change. Still an EX-21 FOR ME . haa haa :razz:  :lol: naa naa - naa naa naa.

No Roly I have to adjust the tension at least once while I am using it.  Seems to me that the more I lift the arm up and down the more the tension knob moves.  Pain in the back side.  Still the DeWalt  FOR ME  haa haa :razz::lol: naa naa - naa naa naa

Marg

No Roly I have to adjust the tension at least once while I am using it.  Seems to me that the more I lift the arm up and down the more the tension knob moves.  Pain in the back side.  Still the DeWalt  FOR ME  haa haa :razz::lol: naa naa - naa naa naa

Marg

Sorry Marg I FORGOT THE RULES. HAA HAAAAAA

10 Rules of Life can be condensed to: The woman is always right
Men are always the last to know. Men never catch on to the rules of life.
In fact, men don't even know they are governed throughout their lives by a set of rules.
It is with great peril that I take pen in hand to disclose these hidden Rules of Life. I promise you,men, that they exist. My telling you the rules really won't change anything, but at least you will know what you are up against.
Here are the Rules of Life that guide all civilization. Any breakdown in these rules will end civilization as we know it. 

Rule 1: Females always make the rules. Men are not privy to the rules, but sometimes they figure
out part of the scheme. Men never completely understand all the rules.
Rule 2: The rules are always subject to change without notification. It's called a woman's
prerogative. Men never change the rules because they are not even allowed to know there are any
rules.
Rule 3: If a female suspects the male knows any rule, she must immediately change the rule. This
rule perpetually keeps the male in the dark as to what the rules are.
Rule 4: One of the most fundamental rules of civilization is the female is never wrong. Man really
figured this one out centuries ago, but is too insecure to actually bring it up. Therefore, it remains
as a true cornerstone of society.
Rule 5: If the female appears to be wrong, it is because of a flagrant misunderstanding, which was a
direct result of something the male did or said wrong. Simply stated, the man is never right.
Rule 6: If Rule 5 applies, the male must immediately apologize for causing the misunderstanding.
Failure to comply will force upon the man a steady diet of hot tongue and cold shoulder.
Rule 7: The female is allowed to change her mind at any point while the male must never change
his mind without express written consent from the female. Failure to complete this cycle of
correctness will result in the man being wrong -- again.
Rule 8: The female has every right to be angry or upset in any situation, while the male must remain
calm at all times -- unless the female wants the male to be angry or upset. Because men don't know
the rule, they walk a slippery slope.
Rule 9: Under no circumstances must the female let the male know whether or not she wants the
male to be angry or upset. Rule 9 is forever called the no-win clause of life
Rule 10: If any two females disagree over any of the rules, they are both right. Males may hear the
disagreement firsthand, but they not allowed to mention it or give an opinion about the
disagreement in question. The correct answer to any female from a male under this rule should be,
"You're right."
Now that the rule's code has been broken, I really don't know what you guys are going to do with the
information. In fact, you're pretty much stuck here because any attempt to go against the code will
end your relationship with women forever. And you know the old saying, "You can't live with them
and you can't live without them."
Your best bet is to go with the status quo and act stupid like always. Having too much information
can actually be a pain in the neck. The fact is, your life was probably simpler before you read the
rules.
We have now confirmed that women rule our lives. While it doesn't change anything, we were
much happier when we were skating along without knowing how badly we are being manipulated.

I KNOW MY PLACE Roly

Edited by Phantom Scroller

Sorry Marg I FORGOT THE RULES. HAA HAAAAAA

10 Rules of Life can be condensed to: The woman is always right
Men are always the last to know. Men never catch on to the rules of life.
In fact, men don't even know they are governed throughout their lives by a set of rules.
It is with great peril that I take pen in hand to disclose these hidden Rules of Life. I promise you,men, that they exist. My telling you the rules really won't change anything, but at least you will know what you are up against.
Here are the Rules of Life that guide all civilization. Any breakdown in these rules will end civilization as we know it. 

Rule 1: Females always make the rules. Men are not privy to the rules, but sometimes they figure
out part of the scheme. Men never completely understand all the rules.
Rule 2: The rules are always subject to change without notification. It's called a woman's
prerogative. Men never change the rules because they are not even allowed to know there are any
rules.
Rule 3: If a female suspects the male knows any rule, she must immediately change the rule. This
rule perpetually keeps the male in the dark as to what the rules are.
Rule 4: One of the most fundamental rules of civilization is the female is never wrong. Man really
figured this one out centuries ago, but is too insecure to actually bring it up. Therefore, it remains
as a true cornerstone of society.
Rule 5: If the female appears to be wrong, it is because of a flagrant misunderstanding, which was a
direct result of something the male did or said wrong. Simply stated, the man is never right.
Rule 6: If Rule 5 applies, the male must immediately apologize for causing the misunderstanding.
Failure to comply will force upon the man a steady diet of hot tongue and cold shoulder.
Rule 7: The female is allowed to change her mind at any point while the male must never change
his mind without express written consent from the female. Failure to complete this cycle of
correctness will result in the man being wrong -- again.
Rule 8: The female has every right to be angry or upset in any situation, while the male must remain
calm at all times -- unless the female wants the male to be angry or upset. Because men don't know
the rule, they walk a slippery slope.
Rule 9: Under no circumstances must the female let the male know whether or not she wants the
male to be angry or upset. Rule 9 is forever called the no-win clause of life
Rule 10: If any two females disagree over any of the rules, they are both right. Males may hear the
disagreement firsthand, but they not allowed to mention it or give an opinion about the
disagreement in question. The correct answer to any female from a male under this rule should be,
"You're right."
Now that the rule's code has been broken, I really don't know what you guys are going to do with the
information. In fact, you're pretty much stuck here because any attempt to go against the code will
end your relationship with women forever. And you know the old saying, "You can't live with them
and you can't live without them."
Your best bet is to go with the status quo and act stupid like always. Having too much information
can actually be a pain in the neck. The fact is, your life was probably simpler before you read the
rules.
We have now confirmed that women rule our lives. While it doesn't change anything, we were
much happier when we were skating along without knowing how badly we are being manipulated.

I KNOW MY PLACE Roly

THATS RIGHT. READ AND REMEMBER. YOUR LIFE MAY DEPEND ON IT.  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Marg