Walking cane with inlay

Jim Finn

Love it.Darn good job.Is it for looks,or is it useable? :thumbs: :thumbs:

Yes it is usable.  I made the whole thing, including the dowel and the gun/handle of three 3/8" pieces of walnut.  On the dowel part I left the center strip of wood extend past the others long enough to go to the rear of the gun.  I then inlay the maple into the outside pieces of the gun part.  The center 3/8" board of the gun I place at 90 degrees to the outsides to give the needed strength.  The center strip of the dowel is glued in place inside the two outside pieces of the gun/handle atop the the cross grain center pieces of the gun.

Fantastic.Beautiful workmanship.Love it.I often wish I had a Lathe so I could do more work like that. :thumbs: :thumbs:

I have a lathe but did not use it for this project.  I glued three 1" x 38" walnut strips together and rounded them off with a round over bit on my router table.  I made the center strip longer than the outer ones and did not round it off.  This center piece then is glued in place in the handle/gun.  Makes for a strong ninety degree joint.