loose motor

courtym74

Hello all. Has anyone had any experience with the delta 40-694 scrollsaw? I've had mine for about six months now and it's been great. Today I was cutting a thicker piece than usual, the blade broke and now the motor is loose. Can turn it maybe 1/8 of an inch. When its let go it makes a thunk or rattle noise. If I hold it turned then its fine. Any tips on tightening it? From the looks of it I need to disassemble the whole thing to get at the motor mounts. Please someone tell me this isn't the case.

That is the case! If the motor is loose, it has to be tightened. Period.

I have a 40-690 and if the motor was loose. I would take it apart and tighten it.

It is easy, just takes an 1/2 hour to disassemble.

I'm asssuming the 40-694 is similar

• Take the table off by unscrewing the screw on the front. (Heavy, don't bend screw)
  • Remove the nut in the back that secures the saw to the bench.
  • Now all you need is a star bit, 1/4" and 1/2" box wrench.
  • Remove attached light
  • Power Switch Cover -- remove 4 screws (remove cover later).
  • Remove the 'U' clip screw that the table mounted to, Slip off the U clip.
  • Remove the two screws require 1/4" wrench ( External nuts visable on outside)
  • Remove the two screws on the front bottom that secures the saw to the bench.
  • Lift the saw off the bench and lay it on its side with the motor off the table. (No weight on the motor).
  • Remove the rest of the screws. (one screw is longer than the rest, some have washers (make note).
  • Remove Arm Plate and switch cover.
  • The back cover (opposite motor) has tight fit, work loose slowly.
  • check and tighten motor screws.
  • Re-apply  or add grease where there was grease.
  • There is metal plate 1 1/2" x 1 1/4" (approx)  you need to align to put back cover on.
  • Also insure you do not crimp wires when you put cover on
  • The last screws are the ones that attach saw to bench, then the nut on the back.
Edited by LarryEA

Matt, Updated Directions, please note changes/additions

Don't think I missed anything.

Wish you the best.

I had mine apart 3 or 4 times looking for a self-induced problem.

It became easy on the last one.

(Self- induced problem is where you look in the wrong place

for a problem you don't have and cause a real one)   :)

I pinched a bunch of wires putting it back together. :D

Edited by LarryEA

Just a reminder - the new 40-694 comes with a 5 year warranty. However, if the repair center is not close by - mine is 150 miles away - may make the warranty not very good.  A day getting it there.  Another day to pick it up.  If mine needs it,  it is take apart and get er done time.  Study the parts diagram and take pictures as you take apart. 

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/delta-40694-variable-speed-scroll-saw-parts-c-3275_3505_418339.html?q=40-694

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/delta-40690-type-scroll-saw-parts-c-3275_3505_157559.html?q=40-690      (page B)

Larry

Got it going!! Can't believe how loose some of the screws in the motor were! Several turns to tighten them! You'd think in a machine that is made for making vibrations they'd but some lock washers on them! The 694 was a bit different from yours Larry but it was still pretty straight forward. Thank you again for your tips and tech!!!

Got it going!! Can't believe how loose some of the screws in the motor were! Several turns to tighten them! You'd think in a machine that is made for making vibrations they'd but some lock washers on them! The 694 was a bit different from yours Larry but it was still pretty straight forward. Thank you again for your tips and tech!!!

Hey Matt,  You are welcome.

Good to hear.  Wasn't too bad,HUH.

I'm telling everyone, I have the 40-694 arriving Tuesday Dec 30th.

I love my 40-690, it is running great, I'll give it a rest and see how the 694 compares.

• 3 years later...
5 hours ago, profrpowell said:

I have the same saw.  I have put lock washers on motor but it still continues to come loose.  Suggestions?  Very frustrated!!

I'd use the blue loc-tite.. Blue is for medium duty.. Never ever use Red loc-tite unless you never plan to take it apart again, LOL.. actually the bottle instructions on the red says it'll come apart but only with heat from a torch.. Not sure if they mean heat from a cutting torch or just heating it up a little to loosen the loc-tite 😂

Edited by kmmcrafts

I had a similar problem with my Delta 40-694. You have to take it apart to get to the bolts in the back. I tightened my motor and have had no problems since. Apparently the guy tightening the bolts got tired and let a few through. Watch Gwinnett woodworks video on the Dewalt repair and your good to go.