Hi from New Zealand

Graeme Butcher

Hi there.  I'm the other Kiwi here.  I started scrolling a few years ago. I had a project requiring a scroll saw and had been using my jigsaw bolted upside down to my workbench up until then.  I have been enjoying finding out what i an make on my Frejoth since then. I realized pretty soon after buying it, second hand, that it is possible to make a wooden geared clock and so this has been my ultimate goal.  I have only  made the escapement gear so far.  I want to make it out of Tasmanian (or Australian) Blackwood so i have made a plywood press to make my own ply.

I love making wooden mechanical and game boards.  I have made 3 cribbage boards, one and a half chess boards (plus pieces) and am planing on a backgammon board and "Cathedral" game.

I hate creating for commission.  It introduces time and design restraints.

Welcome!If i read your profile right your 98 years old! No time like the present to get started in scroll sawing.I see your very interested in trhe finer aspects of scrolling too.Clocks have been on my chopping block since day one ,but it never happened.Your goinf to wow us with your handywork as soon as you can post pictures of your works.Clever of you to mount the jig saw on a table like that,your wheels are always turning to get the jobs done!Keep coming back as your a member now.I can see were going to be learning alot from each other!Welcome friend!!!! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Welcome to The Village. I have not viewed your gallery, but I will in a few minutes.  I hope you make it a habit to log on very often. You will find that this is a great site filled with wonderful caring people from all over our planet. I hope you find the time to scroll often too. there are a lot of free patterns to cut here and they are yours for the taking.  

Dick

heppnerguy

Welcome!If i read your profile right your 98 years old! No time like the present to get started in scroll sawing.I see your very interested in trhe finer aspects of scrolling too.Clocks have been on my chopping block since day one ,but it never happened.Your goinf to wow us with your handywork as soon as you can post pictures of your works.Clever of you to mount the jig saw on a table like that,your wheels are always turning to get the jobs done!Keep coming back as your a member now.I can see were going to be learning alot from each other!Welcome friend!!!! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Having finally fixed my time machine i am now my normal age relative to the rest of you. Youth is, as they say, wasted on the young.

Bolting my jig saw upside down was just the beginning.  Before I owned a bench-top sander I also bolted my belt sander upside down to my work bench.  I was going to do the same to my skill saw but there is a 'lock on' button.

Thank you for your welcome.

Show 'ME' your cribbage boards. I made 14 of them and can't find another player. :lol:

attachicon.gifEagle Cribbage.jpg   attachicon.gifMy ist cribbage board.jpg

Welcome to the Village.  Love to see pictures of your scrolling.

Good luck on the gear clock, It's a challenge, not just to cut, but for it to actually run.

Are you leading me to believe you have 14 Cribbage boards lying around you place?  I have made 3 so far.  Two of which have removable tops.  I wanted to make a sliding top using dovetail cuts but I am too new to the router.

Indeed the clock is going to be 'fun' to make.  I want to use Australian Blackwood so i have to make my own ply.  I have only make the escapement gear.  I need to make the rocker , pendulum and weights to confirm 'proof of concept'.  Once i get continuing ticking i can start adding gears.

Welcome to the Village Graeme.  I'm a neighbor of yours.  I'm Marg from Australia.  Glad you found us.

Howdy neighbor.  I had a little look at some of your stuff.  Cute sleigh.  I Like the idea of using a felt tip pen. It saves the time of opening the can, painting, closing the can washing the brush.   Painting time, 25 seconds.  Everything else 5 mins. (Not including cutting).

Are you leading me to believe you have 14 Cribbage boards lying around you place?  I have made 3 so far.  Two of which have removable tops.  I wanted to make a sliding top using dovetail cuts but I am too new to the router.

Indeed the clock is going to be 'fun' to make.  I want to use Australian Blackwood so i have to make my own ply.  I have only make the escapement gear.  I need to make the rocker , pendulum and weights to confirm 'proof of concept'.  Once i get continuing ticking i can start adding gears.

Well Ghost, I did sell one. the others are neatly stacked on a shelf.

Like this one. post-5492-0-61225800-1424045463_thumb.jpg

I have a clock finished except for the pendulum which has been the clog completing it.

• Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts - Making a Wooden Gear Clock ...

www.scrollsawer.com/.../making-a-wooden-gear-clock-video.html - Similar to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts - Making a Wooden Gear Clock ...

Apr 8, 2013 ... Fox Chapel Publishing, Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts. ... Saw Woodworking & Crafts, Brian Law offered patterns for a wooden gear clock.

• Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts - Wooden Gear Clock

www.scrollsawer.com/videos/wooden-gear-clock.html - Similar to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts - Wooden Gear Clock

Aug 28, 2009 ... Complete instructions to create the MLT-13 wooden gear clock can be ... Tovar here is a link to his site Wooden ClockWorks Scroll Saw Plans.