Hi kids!

NMBob

Bob here.  Just joined -- otherwise why would I be posting this?  I've had my scroll saw (DeWalt 788) for a little over a month.  About $2100 later (I didn't have any decent tools or bits or blades or a router or anything) I've almost completed a two year quest for a box for my scotch glass (a Glencairn glass if you you know about these kinds of things).  Just could never find one that fit the way I wanted.

Had little or no idea what I was doing a month ago.  Still have no idea, but I almost have a box made.  I live in a little town in New Mexico, so just about anything I need I have to order, or make a pilgrimage to Albuquerque.  Right now I'm waiting for a 1/16" die cutting bit.  Need to make some thin slots in the lid to insert magnet 'waffers' into that will mate up with magnet 'rods' sticking out a bit from the top of the body of the box.  Making those slots with anything less than a 5/64" drill bit didn't work too well.  The waffers are 1/32" thick, and the lid is only 1/4" thick bubinga, so I don't want the slot to be too big.  These new bits are for cutting sideways through metal, so that might help.  We'll see.  If this works it will be time to start gluin' and screwin'.  Cutting the foam to cradle the glass has been the worst part.

Did a little fooling with wood like this when I was a kid, but that was on some fan belt-driven monstrosity that my dad had with 1/4" deep blade.  Couldn't make sharp turns worth a darn, but I got used to the burnt wood smell ok.  He eventually made me start paying for my own blades. :)

post-25226-0-22140400-1424909955_thumb.jpg

WElcome boB herE. Really glad you joined, I think you'll be a real,reel,rill add

whether you build anything or not. Please stick around buy a round. Paul would like it

if you bought a few rounds ... guiness of course.

You CAN get all the help (verbal only) you want !! Right here. Do ask Please

And next time give a few details.

Thanks some replication in hard wood you did there.What number blade did you use?Excellent control you have with the dewalt! Sounds like your well versed in wood working and glazing.It's a real show and tell around here.We will pass along all our tips and tricks to share with you as you need them just ask away.Stop in offen ,don't miss a day ,new stuff comes in by the truck load daily .Glad you found us !Jump on in,pour a cup of coffee and make some friends Thanks for joining, Your family now,Friend!Welcome again!!! :)

Hi all!

Thanks for the warm welcome!  I looked around at a few of the online forums, but found nearly every topic here had been updated today.  I figured that was a good sign, so I joined this one.

My cutting skills only look really good in photoshopped pictures. :)  I think I am starting to begin to get an idea about figuring out what is going on, but sometimes that ol' blade just gets a mind of it's own.  I cut each of these layers individually just to get the experience.  Next time I'll stack a couple together so I don't get quite so much experience...sanding.  The four that are stacked up will get glued.  The fifth one on the right was a disaster that I'm using for a piece to test stuff out on.  The edges of the holes on that one are rounded with a 1/16" rounding bit I found for my Makita compact router.  I've never routered anything before, either, and have a bit to learn there.  This first box is just a proof-of-concept.

The wood is some kind of "oak" that I found at our little local lumber yard.  It was a planed and squared and wrapped in plastic 1x6x36" piece for $10.  I figured I could afford to ruin that.  I've tried a 7R, 5, 3, and even a 1 just to get a feel for the different blades.  Haven't decided anything yet.  I have trouble just driving down the road in a straight line, so I'm still battling that problem at the saw.

The two pieces on the left with the pattern on them are the top and bottom.  I may have to buy a planer for them.  They were just some thin stock (oak and bubinga) I got for kinda cheap at a wood shop in Albuquerque.  Albuquerque Exotic Woods if you live around ABQ.  Real nice place and nice folks.  All sorts of woods in there.

I'll try and get a web page together on my website when I get this done with a few details.

As far a scotches go I'll drink anything I can afford.  I'll even buy a few I can't afford.  I'm not a single malt snob.  Picked up a blend in a plastic bottle at Walmart the other day.  Haven't tried it yet, but one of the guys at work said it was pretty good.  If you want to learn about scotches go to ralfy.com.  The guy is amazing and would probably be a scroll sawer if he wasn't so into scotch.  He has over 520 videos on YouTube, and they are not just about scotch, but other stuff to drink, and also some with just information about whisk(e)ys.  Very entertaining.

Thanks again!

Welcome Bob,

It sounds like you are 'roll up your sleeves and go for it" kind of guy. I have found using the largest blades you can get the job done with, is best for me because of the fact they are heftier and tent to not be as likely to have a mind of their own. I usually only use a blade smaller than a #3 for very thin and very small fret work. Keep in mind that everyone does their cutting just a little differently, so you are correct about trying different blades to see what will eventually be your blade of choice. keep up the good work and log on often so everyone can get to know you and you can get to know all of us. Feel free to explore everything you can find here on The Village. I guarantee you will be glad you did

Dick

heppperguy

Well thanks once again for all the kind words. I think I picked a good forum! But...don't you all have some sawing to do?? :)

I'll try to get a post started in the Works In Progress section for this endeavor in the next couple of days. I had a large selection of sanding sleeves/tubes come in today, so I was rummaging through the local lumber yard this afternoon trying to find something to use for a drum for the 1/4" and 3/8" diameter tubes. Settled on some carriage bolts. I'll get to see how it works this weekend if my 1/16" die cutting bits come in and I get get the work on the lid (imbedding magnets) finished. Those should be the last thing I'll need to buy...except maybe a planer. That's going hurt, but will probably be a good thing in the long run. Come to think of it it's only going to hurt my credit card. :)

Yeah, heppnerguy. I probably should be using a bit bigger blade. I suspect I just don't know well enough yet. I've just kinda zipped through a bunch of them. I'll go back and spend a bit more time with them on the next box.

Thanks all!

Bob

Hey Bob , Glad you are here. I used to live in New Mexico so I understand about the small towns. I lived in Clovis the next biggest town was either Amarillo Tx or Lubbock Tx. both towns were about 2 hours away. Now I live in  Oklahoma so I have  easier access to things.

Hope you keep coming back

Mimi

Ok, for the Phantom Scroller (and everyone else): http://www.greschke.com/woods/index.html

For grandpa...I can't wait to go crazy! :)

For Mimi: You poor thing. Clovis has got to be brutal. The weather is so naughty, and man is it FLAT out there. I grew up in eastern South Dakota and it's practically mountainous compared to out there. I'm just an hour south of Abq in Socorro, so, really, I've got it easy.

Bob