A finishing question, lacquer over lacquer.

dansnow

I'm  working on a commissioned project, and ran into something that surprised me. the center feature of the plaque is a 9.5" gear with the 8" dia center recessed half the material thickness with an angle cut. 

Because of the two piece design I was able to paint the center piece without a lot of pain masking it off. I sprayed the wood with 3 coats of black lacquer, letting it dry between coats. Then I glued it together and sprayed the whole thing with clear lacquer. When the first coat dried I discovered the entire surface of the black lacquer was covered with fine cracks, giving it a crinkled texture when the light hits it a certain way. Since a brass plaque is to be mounted in the center, I actually like the look, but I'm curious why it happened. I assumed, erroneously it seems, that lacquer over lacquer would not react this way.

Any thoughts?

post-17477-0-49453900-1427382010_thumb.jpg

The black dried for at least three days before I sprayed the clear. Same brand. I'd done this before without an issue. Unheated shop, but here in northern CA temps have been in the upper 70's during the day.

Got lucky this time, the results are better than if I'd planned it.

When spraying lacquer over lacquer, the thinner in the sprayed layer will always dissolve a bit of the previous layer. That is why you have very tight bonding between layers. The side effect is what you noticed. Not sure what conditions cause it or what to change to avoid it. Maybe taking precautions to have more thinner evaporate before landing on the object - higher air pressure, further distance away, higher air temperatures all could help.

Bill