A clarification from my intro

kywoodmaster

After reading Margs comment I guess that I should explain a few things.

The heading welcome from the big city is sarcasm. I live ia a small town/ burge/ village/ wide place in the road called Glenhayes West Virginia. The total population is about twenty (20) people. It is ten (10) miles to the nearest traffic light, McDonalds, Grocery store, Post Office, You get the idea. I am fourty five (45) miles from the nearest mall or anything that most people would consider a town (Hunington WV).

I lived most of my life in Kentucky when I wasn't traveling to work. The Tug Fork River is the dividing line between Kentucky and West Virginia on the south eastern border. The Tug Fork is my back yard. I can stand on the back porch and throw a rock into Kentucky.

I have settled down now (I think that is a nice way of saying I'm getting old). I now operate drinking water purification plants for a living and have decided that the next time I move will involve a fire or funeral.

I have been doing scroll work since 1999 after a friend from Washington state sent me a piece of his work. I very much enjoy all types of wood working including building and remodeling. I am finding out that I am not as young as I was from working on this house. Thankfully I have found a young man with a strong back and a will  to learn.

I enjoy any type of scroll work. I did a lot of Clocks, Welcome signs and Religious items. I think that I still have a few pieces of my older work around somewhere. I will try to locate them and post a pew pics. I haven't done any scroll work in the last 5 years but I am looking forward to getting my saw back out and see if I still remember how.

Didn't mean to get long winded but thought that it might be worth explaning. I am more of a set back and listen type of person. Looking forward to seeing others works and hearing of new teniques and short cuts.

Thanks Larry

Your a man i can appreciate,Wish you were my neighbor.We would click right off!!!!!I have a friend that treats the water here and he will not drink it!!!!!i've never heard of a town that small.Surely i could find a wife there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I i'll bet the air there is clean to breath.your interest in scrolling clocks and religious items floats my boat big time!Your not long winded enough as i lean on every word you say.Welcome to the village my friend,Keep coming back!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Well Larry, That cleared a lot of things up for most of us. Thank you.

But...

You still didn't answer my question. So I'll present it a different way.

I'm a West Virginian by birth (Beckley) and a distant, distant relative to the Hatfields on my Mothers side.

So I had to ask (smile) :D  About you and the Hatfield and McCoys

First I'll explain to Marg and others that the Tug  and Big Sandy Rivers separate the states of Kentucky and West Virginia and also separatedthe Hatfields and McCoys. Feuding families that made history about 100 years ago.

The Hatfield and McCoy Feud

The Hatfield-McCoy feud began in the mountainous Tug River valley. The Tug River separates West Virginia from Kentucky and separated most of the Hatfield and McCoy clans. William Anderson Hatfield was the recognized leader of the Hatfields and went by the nickname of “Devil Anseâ€. The leader of the McCoys was Randle McCoy.

It's a part of history where you live and I thought it worth sharing.

Hey Larry:

As far as I know I have no Halfield or McCoy blood in my veins. I did however set up at the Hatfiel & McCoy festival in Pikeville KY several years ago.

I am a lot farther North than that area. I am 10 miles from the confluence of the Tug and Levisa forks and the beginning of the Big Sandy River. It is about a 2 hour drive for me to get into the Logan, Matewan, Pikeville area where the feud started and where the peace treaty was signed a few years ago.

If you haven't been back for a while it would be worth the trip. As you probably know some of the great grand children got together a few years ago and signed a peace treaty. The area now promotes a very good tourism trade with the Hatfield - McCoy trails for Horseback and ATV riding. Historical markers show the locations of some of the battle sites, cemetaries & homesteads on a self guided driving tour in KY and WV both. There is a festival marking the treaty each fall in Pikeville KY.

We have a little country store about 8 mile from us and the owner is Anse Hatfield (Yes a direct descendent of that one). Happens to be one of the greatest guys that you would want to meet. He has the family look as well as the full length beard that just say don't try it. Most of the people in this area are great people as long as you don't try to push things on them.

Hope this clears up your question and will probbaly have a lot of other people say what are they talking about.

Later Larry

:huh: :huh: :lol: :lol:    Thank you Larry and Larry for the History and Geography lesson.  Now I know what you are talking about.  :oops::D   It must be great living in such a small town.  My town of Hastings is not big but we have about 10.000 people. :lol:  5 Supermarkets, 6 hairdressers,  5 Pizza shops, 3 Fish and Chip shops, 7 cafes and about 8 Real Estate Offices and the main street is only about 1/2 a kilometer long. :shock::roll::lol:

Marg

• 3 weeks later...

I know about living in a small town. We do have a grocery store, gas station, pharmacy, tire shop, and a long time resident jewelry shop. oh, and one cafe. there are no buses or taxis and the closest city is 60 miles away. There are no traffic lights at all in our entire county, which is pretty large. the population is quite small as most of the county is farming with many large ranches like 5 X 10 miles or bigger. People in Heppner, wave to you whether they know you or not and most of the 30 kids per grade have gone from kindergarten to high school graduation together. Kids are respectful here and volunteerly take away their own trash if you have a party at the local reservoir. Most people leave their keys in their cars and there houses are open to almost anyone that needs a place to stay.  the kids are safe on our streets and all the high school kids take two days a year to help clean up the town by picking weeds for an elderly person to cleaning up the creek beds and much more. I love our little town where a traffic jam is 2 cars behind a tractor, and I would not want to move to the bigger town where people live for 20 years and still do not know their neighbors 3 houses away from their home. 

Dick

heppnerguy